Heat works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Dave75

Heat works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t

Postby Dave75 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:18 am

I have an 08 LE with the V8 and the heater works sometimes and sometimes it won’t. The issue is usually triggered by turning the temp down. Most times I can turn it right back up and it warms back up but sometimes it will be days before it starts blowing warm/hot air again. Any suggestions?

Zen_master

Re: Heat works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t

Postby Zen_master » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:57 pm

post95147.html#p95147

Some info in that link may help

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Dave75 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:18 am
I have an 08 LE with the V8 and the heater works sometimes and sometimes it won’t. The issue is usually triggered by turning the temp down. Most times I can turn it right back up and it warms back up but sometimes it will be days before it starts blowing warm/hot air again. Any suggestions?
Welcome to TheNissanPath!
I sometimes have a similar issue lets see if it rears it head this winter.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:46 pm

That's almost certainly a mix door actuator that's getting weak and sometimes isn't moving the door. The motors in Nissan actuators are basically "toy boat" brush motors and they'll get balky when the brushes wear out. Eventually it will quit completely and be stuck wherever it lands.

If you have Auto A/C and it's the driver's side misbehaving, the door actuator is on the bottom of the HVAC and not too hard to replace. If it's Manual A/C or the passenger side on an Auto A/C, then it's bad news. It's directly on top of the HVAC and the dash pad has to come off to replace it.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:06 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:46 pm
That's almost certainly a mix door actuator that's getting weak and sometimes isn't moving the door. The motors in Nissan actuators are basically "toy boat" brush motors and they'll get balky when the brushes wear out. Eventually it will quit completely and be stuck wherever it lands.

If you have Auto A/C and it's the driver's side misbehaving, the door actuator is on the bottom of the HVAC and not too hard to replace. If it's Manual A/C or the passenger side on an Auto A/C, then it's bad news. It's directly on top of the HVAC and the dash pad has to come off to replace it.
Can a run of the mill independent shop handle this/properly diagnose the broken part, or should I seek out the Nissan dealer?
My nearest Nissan dealer is almost an hour away one way.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:06 pm
Can a run of the mill independent shop handle this/properly diagnose the broken part, or should I seek out the Nissan dealer?
If they're a good run-of-the-mill shop, yes. There's no rocket science to it, just a lot of work. On an older ride, there's also a lot of fragile plastic. Competence and care are both required.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:30 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 am
palmerwmd wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:06 pm
If they're a good run-of-the-mill shop, yes. There's no rocket science to it, just a lot of work. On an older ride, there's also a lot of fragile plastic. Competence and care are both required.
Hmm, I may take it to Precision Tune if the symptoms return
The one here in town is MUCH better than one would think from a glorified oil change chain, also one of the techs owns a Frontier and he is familiar with this platform.
And they were inside both my Xterra dash and my pathfinder dash to remove rodent nests.
There is also a "Tire Engineers" here which has a very good shop attached to it, but they take a lot of effort to get in since they are so popular.

Return to “R51 Electrical”