Considering replacing by 2002 R50 with a '08/'09 R51

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

brickbox

Considering replacing by 2002 R50 with a '08/'09 R51

Postby brickbox » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:28 am

My first post here. I am a member on another Nissan forum on the WWW. But there aren't a lot of active members over on the R51 sub-page. So looking for some advice here.

My 2002 QX4 has been an excellent vehicle over the past few years I have owned her. But with 196k miles on the ODO, age related issues are cropping up. Not to mention, the rust that is the biggest problem. PO wasn't great about washing the car in the winter.

That being said, it will be due for a bunch of suspension refresh by the time next spring rolls around. It also has the RMS weep/drip issue.

So I was considering replacing it with a 2008/2009 Pathfinder LE 4WD with about 90K-95K miles on it.

I already read up the SMOD. Any ways to check this if the PO already switched out the trans fluid and coolant prior to trying to sell the vehicle to me? Any other things I need to watch out for?

I have been really happy with my QX4 and if not for the rust, I would have just kept it. I'm trying to debate between the R51 Pathy or a gen.2 Murano.

I do not really off road, maybe a light sand trail or two twice a year. Dirt roads will be more often. Also, snow and ice are here about 5 a year. So I will be getting snow tires irrespective.

If I get a R51, will my old snow tires (225/75/16s) fit?

Did R50 owners here buy something other than a R51 as an upgrade? (4Runner is out because it costs way too much $$$ around here)

Looking forward to getting your feedback and advice!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Considering replacing by 2002 R50 with a '08/'09 R51

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:26 am

brickbox wrote: 1). Not to mention, the rust that is the biggest problem. PO wasn't great about washing the car in the winter.

2)So I was considering replacing it with a 2008/2009 Pathfinder LE 4WD with about 90K-95K miles on it.

3)I already read up the SMOD. Any ways to check this if the PO already switched out the trans fluid and coolant prior to trying to sell the vehicle to me? Any other things I need to watch out for?

4)I have been really happy with my QX4 and if not for the rust, I would have just kept it. I'm trying to debate between the R51 Pathy or a gen.2 Murano.

5)I do not really off road, maybe a light sand trail or two twice a year. Dirt roads will be more often. Also, snow and ice are here about 5 a year. So I will be getting snow tires irrespective.

If I get a R51, will my old snow tires (225/75/16s) fit?

6)Did R50 owners here buy something other than a R51 as an upgrade? (4Runner is out because it costs way too much $$$ around here)
Brickbox, welcome to ThePath your new home away from home! :D

1) Yes, that Gen of Pathy/QX4s are known for rust. Luckily the R51s are above average in rust resistance.
2) Good Choice.. there is an excellent '08 LE FS on ThePath right now!
I'd love to buy it myself but...
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=19304
3) The best way is a thorough test drive of the vehicle if you suspect someone trying to "mask" SMOD with a coolant/trannyfluid flush. Generally if the vehicle doesnt display symptoms its safe. IMHO Best practices is for u to install a new radiator after purchase. (These cars are getting into the age range where its a good idea regardless of SMOD fear or not)
4) The gen 2 Muranos are also pretty nice.. especially for those who value mpg.. I do love the R51 though... Its handles real well at interstate speeds despite being body-on-frame
5) Some tires that are AT rated are also great winter tires.. this tire is a good allropunder for snow, light offroading, and hiway:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=17450
6) Some folks also like XTerras. I own(ed) both XTerra and R51.
The Xterra is shorter but same platform as R51.. same powertrain.. but the R51 has better rear suspension and better interior while generally going for same book price as a same mile/year Xterra.

I agree with not wanting to pay the Toyota tax.
IMO the R51 is one of the best kept secrets in the SUV world.!!!

If you compare a say 2008-2012 LE to a GX 470 you should not feel outgunned in features, capabilities, performance on and off the road.. even longevity.... Except you know u paid half the price!

:)

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks for the welcome!!

That is indeed a good deal on the 08, but I’m starting my search with the ones that are in the Mid West, closer to me.

Good to note on the SMOD. If I end up buying a R51, I’ll definitely end up doing the cooler bypass.

I was hoping to re-use the 225/75/16 snow tires that I already have :)
Will these be fine?

Additionally, I see that the Silver editions are similar to LE, but most importantly they lack the full time 4Wd “auto†mode. Can anyone comment here if that is a useful feature? On my QX4, I just set it to Auto and drive the winter months. It does a fantastic job without me having to intervene switching modes.

I looked at the X-Terra and came away less than impressed with the interior. I like niceties of the R51s

Edit: Given the choice between a 2008 Le and a 2012 Silver Edition with about the same number of miles, which one would you folks recommend?
The 2012 has decent carfax but the 2008 is exceptional in terms of its service records.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 am

brickbox wrote:
1) I was hoping to re-use the 225/75/16 snow tires that I already have :)
Will these be fine?

2) Additionally, I see that the Silver editions are similar to LE, but most importantly they lack the full time 4Wd “auto†mode. Can anyone comment here if that is a useful feature? On my QX4, I just set it to Auto and drive the winter months. It does a fantastic job without me having to intervene switching modes.

3) Given the choice between a 2008 Le and a 2012 Silver Edition with about the same number of miles, which one would you folks recommend?
The 2012 has decent carfax but the 2008 is exceptional in terms of its service records.
1) I will defer this question to someone else.. Also I think we may already have a thread on that in the R51 wheels subforum..

2) Yes that and the sunroof are the primary difference. I like the idea of the transfer case offering the auto option.. especially for winter and/or very wet street with occasional standing water... my Silver Edition does not have it.
I think the LE is the one to look for... It carry almost no premium over the Silver Edition and offers sunroof and that upgraded transfer case.

3) Despite what I said in 2) ...with same miles that 4 year newer truck would be my preference. During 11 they ironed out the very last bugs good factory radiator and updated timing chain guide in the V6s).
If price and miles are the same and the age difference is 4 years I would prefer the 08 only if its the V8 (which also comes with upgraded front brakes and strengthened front differential for the extra power)
Last edited by palmerwmd on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 am

brickbox wrote: That is indeed a good deal on the 08, but I’m starting my search with the ones that are in the Mid West, closer to me.
PS:Forums vehicles are among the better buys out there since they been owned by enthusiasts and usually get perfect maintenance.

I been on Nissan forums for 15 years and have flown out, certified check in hand, to pick up a car from a forum member sight unseen several times.
Have never been disappointed..
And the long hiway drive back would would allow me to really bond with the car.
In winter 2005/2006 I flew out to Gardena CA, to pick up a 2004 supercharged 350Z with Big brake kit super nice wheels, tasteful classic Z graphics kit, suspension upgrades, the works.. Drove 2950 miles back to Wilmington DE.
In 2.5 days...
By myself.

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:12 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
brickbox wrote:
Will these be fine?

2) Additionally, I see that the Silver editions are similar to LE, but most importantly they lack the full time 4Wd “auto†mode. Can anyone comment here if that is a useful feature? On my QX4, I just set it to Auto and drive the winter months. It does a fantastic job without me having to intervene switching modes.

3) Given the choice between a 2008 Le and a 2012 Silver Edition with about the same number of miles, which one would you folks recommend?
1) I will defer this question to someone else.. Also I think we may already have a thread on that in the R51 wheels subforum..

2) Yes that and the sunroof are the primary difference. I like the idea of the transfer case offering the auto option.. especially for winter and/or very wet street with occasional standing water... my Silver Edition does not have it.
I think the LE is the one to look for... It carry almost no premium over the Silver Edition and offers sunroof and that upgraded transfer case.

3) Despite what I said in 2) ...with same miles that 4 year newer truck would be my preference. During 11 they ironed out the very last bugs good factory radiator and updated timing chain guide in the V6s).
If price and miles are the same and the age difference is 4 years I would prefer the 08 only if its the V8 (which also comes with upgraded front brakes and strengthened front differential for the extra power)
Thank you for the very detailed response! Looks like there's an advantage in getting the newer vehicle.
1. I will check out the sub forum to see if someone has used the skinnier tires from a R50.
2. The 2012 I glanced at has a sunroof as well. Based on what I read from older posts here, the 2008 has been dropped from my consideration. It is still running the original radiator. It looks like the 2010 had improvements made for the timing chain guides. Would a 2010 LE be worth it for a slight cost over the 2012 Silver edition? My biggest hesitation with the Silver edition is the lack of the Auto mode.

3. I sure do like leaving my QX4 in Auto during fall and spring on rainy days while on the freeway. All the vehicles I am looking at are V6s. All three vehicles ('08 LE, '10 LE and '12 Silver) are V6s with the same amount of mileage (within 2k miles of each other).

Again, I really appreciate your detailed responses.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:22 pm

brickbox wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:
brickbox wrote:
Will these be fine?

Thank you for the very detailed response! Looks like there's an advantage in getting the newer vehicle.
1. I will check out the sub forum to see if someone has used the skinnier tires from a R50.
2. The 2012 I glanced at has a sunroof as well. Based on what I read from older posts here, the 2008 has been dropped from my consideration. It is still running the original radiator. It looks like the 2010 had improvements made for the timing chain guides. Would a 2010 LE be worth it for a slight cost over the 2012 Silver edition? My biggest hesitation with the Silver edition is the lack of the Auto mode.

3. I sure do like leaving my QX4 in Auto during fall and spring on rainy days while on the freeway. All the vehicles I am looking at are V6s. All three vehicles ('08 LE, '10 LE and '12 Silver) are V6s with the same amount of mileage (within 2k miles of each other).

Again, I really appreciate your detailed responses.
I would not drop the 08/09s for that reason .. if u like the rest of the deal.
The new timing chain guides from 11 (some say late 10) on are a good thing yes... But many vehicles even with the original guides never develop the issue.
About the Radiator.. yes an 08 its running the original rad.. but as long as SMOD hasnt happend already u can put in a new rad (or if short of money a bypass).

yes newer is better and less worry about correcting the Rad for example.. so if all else is equal i would prefer the newer vehicles.. But very often all else is not equal..

So I would always look at the total deal, condition, mileage and equipment of the vehicle to come to a balanced decision.
Just see whats out there in 05-12s... and then take it from there..

:)
2005 review, contrasting it to the previous Generation of Pathy QX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWGvV7fd6o

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 pm

08SEPATHV8

Postby 08SEPATHV8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:30 pm

brickbox wrote:Thanks for the welcome!!

That is indeed a good deal on the 08, but I’m starting my search with the ones that are in the Mid West, closer to me.

Good to note on the SMOD. If I end up buying a R51, I’ll definitely end up doing the cooler bypass.

Will these be fine?

Additionally, I see that the Silver editions are similar to LE, but most importantly they lack the full time 4Wd “auto†mode. Can anyone comment here if that is a useful feature? On my QX4, I just set it to Auto and drive the winter months. It does a fantastic job without me having to intervene switching modes.

I looked at the X-Terra and came away less than impressed with the interior. I like niceties of the R51s

Edit: Given the choice between a 2008 Le and a 2012 Silver Edition with about the same number of miles, which one would you folks recommend?

Hello! I am the one selling the 08 SE V8 that palmerwmd referenced in the first reply.

I can say that the radiator on my truck was replaced several years before I bought it, at the dealer by the previous owner as a precaution against any tranny/radiator issues. Owned it since 76,000 miles (three years ago) and it has been an AMAZING truck. Yes, have to do maintenance and replace parts, etc., but never left me high and dry. Has the 'AUTO' mode for the 4WD transfer case as well.

I would be willing to look into shipping to the midwest, if that is something you are interested in. Also, motivated to sell.

If you want any information on it or are interested, please private message me and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss. I am an honest man and will answer ANY question you have truthfully. It is not perfect, it is 11 years old, but I would hazard a guess that it is in better condition than a lot of 11 year old SUV's on the road today. I really want this truck to go to someone who is going to love it the same way I did. (sounds like im giving up my favorite dog?!)

I understand if you aren't interested, just a really good truck to get into if you are specifically looking for an '08/'09, especially since is has the 5.6L V8 motor that will literally throw you back in your seat......and the radiator was replaced!

Also have a recent CarFax report documenting maintenance service since new. Also documents the radiator replacement.

thanks for your interest!

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 am

08SEPATHV8 wrote:
brickbox wrote:Thanks for the welcome!!

Will these be fine?

Hello! I am the one selling the 08 SE V8 that palmerwmd referenced in the first reply.

I can say that the radiator on my truck was replaced several years before I bought it, at the dealer by the previous owner as a precaution against any tranny/radiator issues. Owned it since 76,000 miles (three years ago) and it has been an AMAZING truck. Yes, have to do maintenance and replace parts, etc., but never left me high and dry. Has the 'AUTO' mode for the 4WD transfer case as well.

I would be willing to look into shipping to the midwest, if that is something you are interested in. Also, motivated to sell.

If you want any information on it or are interested, please private message me and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss. I am an honest man and will answer ANY question you have truthfully. It is not perfect, it is 11 years old, but I would hazard a guess that it is in better condition than a lot of 11 year old SUV's on the road today. I really want this truck to go to someone who is going to love it the same way I did. (sounds like im giving up my favorite dog?!)

I understand if you aren't interested, just a really good truck to get into if you are specifically looking for an '08/'09, especially since is has the 5.6L V8 motor that will literally throw you back in your seat......and the radiator was replaced!

Also have a recent CarFax report documenting maintenance service since new. Also documents the radiator replacement.

thanks for your interest!
Thanks for following up with me! I actually got a pretty good deal from a private seller in the same sub division as me and ended up buying it.

GLWS! I hope someone here on the forum ends up buying it.

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 am

So I ended up buying a 2011 Slate Grey silver edition Pathy with pretty decent service records. The only downside is the typical Midwest/rust belt bubbling on the rear fenders.

I’m assuming this is a fix for the body shop? Outside of that, really pleased with the R51. I guess if I had to have a gripe, it would be that Nissan went backwards with the interior plastics quality over my QX4.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 am

brickbox wrote:So I ended up buying a 2011 Slate Grey silver edition Pathy with pretty decent service records. The only downside is the typical Midwest/rust belt bubbling on the rear fenders.

I’m assuming this is a fix for the body shop? Outside of that, really pleased with the R51. I guess if I had to have a gripe, it would be that Nissan went backwards with the interior plastics quality over my QX4.
Slate Grey is a beautiful color!
get that rust fixed though!

I am thinking about that V8 Pathy often myself.. its just such a giant hassle to export out of the US and then bring it back later..
Plus Id have to sell my current Nissan which i also love.

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 pm

It indeed is! I got a chance to take it on a long drive yesterday, about 180 miles round trip.
Ran flawlessly. The only thing I noticed was the sweet smell of anti freeze when I got back home after turning the car off. I’ll post a separate thread about with some questions.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:08 pm

FYI: in the later R51 years, i.e. 2012, the trims were S, SV, Silver and LE. The LE, like earlier years, was still the only trim that had the AUTO mode transfer case. The S trim was the basic model. The SV added things like power driver's seat, 6-disc CD changer, alloy wheels, dual climate control and rear heat, leather steering wheel, allow wheels and fog lamps. When you stepped up to the Silver trim, you added leather seats with power passenger-front seat, heated mirrors, keyless ignition, colored body side mouldings and Bluetooth. As far as the LE, in addition to the AUTO transfer case, you got 18" wheels in the latter years, heated steering wheel, faux wood grain trim, navigation and the optional V8 engine (which came with bigger front sway bar and bigger front brakes).

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:51 am

That’s what I understood as well.
My original intent was to look for a LE, the most important feature being the Auto mode. The others while nice were things I was willing to forego.

But the fact that this Silver Edition popped up so close to home made it a deal not worth missing. Oh well. So far, I’m quite happy with the R51.

Hoping to get a 100,000 miles out of her!

Return to “R51 General Chat”