Do I dare purchase a pretty used R51 pathfinder?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

cpt

Do I dare purchase a pretty used R51 pathfinder?

Postby cpt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:47 am

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, the reason I have joined is that I am giving some serious consideration into purchasing a 2006 Pathfinder with the 2.5 diesel motor.

It will be my first 4x4 vehicle, I will use it for camping trips with my kids in the mountains/forests of Sweden and Norway (I am from Scandinavia).

The main reason I am considering an old pathfinder is that it is less expensive than the Toyota counterparts, larger than the Jeep counterparts and I assume way lower maintenance cost than the Land rover Disco’s :D

However I do have 2 durability related questions:

1. The diesel motor, I found some information online regarding the 2.5 diesel had issues with fuel flooding into the motor oil, resulting in seized motors that has as little as 50.000 miles on them (the video I found mentioned the euro5 norm motors) I am not sure if this relates to all of the 2.5 diesels or if it only applies to some modelyears?

2. The chassis breakage issue of the Navara’s, how bad is that relating the Pathfinders and is it purely rust related (so it is easy to spot a poorly maintained specimen) or is it difficult to spot when inspecting an used car?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:19 am

Welcome!! :D

I can answer question 2.

The Navarro issues was just for some years that were made in Span.
It was solely due to rust that came from poorly treated steel.

The R51s are strong and have been used by the German Army side-by-side with the Gwagen.

I dont know anything about any issues with the Diesel.

Cheers and welcome to ThePath!

cpt

Postby cpt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:49 am

palmerwmd wrote:Welcome!! :D

I can answer question 2.

The R51s are strong and have been used by the German Army side-by-side with the Gwagen.

thank you for the welcome :D

The big question then is if the 2006 I am considering purchasing is one of those with the poorly treated steel frame..

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 am

cpt wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:Welcome!! :D

I can answer question 2.

thank you for the welcome :D

The big question then is if the 2006 I am considering purchasing is one of those with the poorly treated steel frame..
I am only aware of this issue with the Navarra not the R51.
In any event a simple inspection for rust should be able to put your mind at ease...

Return to “General Automotive”