Roof Rails

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

salob

Roof Rails

Postby salob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:03 am

I've bought a set of second hand roof rails off ebay and I've started the process of installing them.

I've had a quick look on here and there isnt much info on the process. I've taken the headliner out. ( The cloth was detached from the headliner in a way that would have been impossible to reattach with the headliner in the vehicle anyway). So I'm left with a bare roof inside and really no indication of where the rails get attached.

Bolts were supplied with the rails. These obviously fit into nuts, or inserts in the roof. There has been some talk here about some rivet like inserts which go in the roof once a hole has been drilled. Would anyone know where I might find the part number for these? Failing that, I can go see the dealer, or, I think I can get the bolts attached to nuts. The back ones look like they might be the most difficult as there is a lot of formed metal for the tailgate rather than flat roof in the two other places the rails meet the roof.

Lastly, other than measuring off another car, does anyone know exactly where to place the rails? How far apart they are, for example?

thanks, I'll take some pics to post later just in case someone else wants to attempt this.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 am

Not sure if this helps. Pulled the images from a parts diagram and Amazon :)

salob

Postby salob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:32 am

underworld1001 wrote:Not sure if this helps. Pulled the images from a parts diagram and Amazon :)

Of course it does!!! Amazing thanks.

Been looking at Expansion nuts online but that diagram has the Nissan part number on it!

salob

a little update

Postby salob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 am

So, with the headliner out, I think I can get to every screw to be able to put a nut on it. However, the very back fixing is a little tight so I thought I'd run down the the local Nissan dealer here to see if they have the expansion nut...... They do. 22.50 Euros each, plus tax!!! 50 euros for two nuts?? Seriously?

I wont be using them. These type of fixings available for around 1.50 euros online.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am

Yes some of the Nissan parts prices are extremely unreasonable. What I usually do is take a screw or nut to a home improvement store and try to pick up a similar one. Usually you can get them MUCH cheaper. Not sure where you would go in Europe. The only one I know of is a place called Bauhaus that I've seen when I go to Sweden.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: a little update

Postby eieio » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:35 pm

salob wrote:So, with the headliner out, I think I can get to every screw to be able to put a nut on it. However, the very back fixing is a little tight so I thought I'd run down the the local Nissan dealer here to see if they have the expansion nut...... They do. 22.50 Euros each, plus tax!!! 50 euros for two nuts?? Seriously?

I wont be using them. These type of fixings available for around 1.50 euros online.
I don't know if this would solve your problem, but I've used Rivet Nuts for similar applications.
https://www.rivetnutusa.com/rivnut-rivet-nut/

salob

Re: a little update

Postby salob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:40 am

eieio wrote:
salob wrote:So, with the headliner out, I think I can get to every screw to be able to put a nut on it. However, the very back fixing is a little tight so I thought I'd run down the the local Nissan dealer here to see if they have the expansion nut...... They do. 22.50 Euros each, plus tax!!! 50 euros for two nuts?? Seriously?

I don't know if this would solve your problem, but I've used Rivet Nuts for similar applications.
https://www.rivetnutusa.com/rivnut-rivet-nut/
I think, with the headliner out, I can get to everything. I might just try and get a couple of jack nuts in case. Bu thanks, would definitely go that route if I hadnt already taken the headlliner out

salob

Postby salob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:26 am

I havent plucked up the courage to drill the roof yet :-)

Could someone confirmthe the distance between the two rails is 36"?

thanks

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”