Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Db615

Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

Postby Db615 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi everyone, first post. I tried searching through related threads and could not find my exact similar issue that’s going on. I’m hoping that someone can relate or provide their input as to what may be going on with the trans.

Getting to the point:

*2006 pathfinder SE - VQ40, RWD, 5 speed AT.
* original owner - 165k miles
*just had engine rebuilt about 15k ago
*I previously had no transmission issues or signs of malfunction
*I was driving on the interstate on the way to work and had to speed up to get in the right lane towards my exit so I gave it a little gas.
*Get in the right lane and the pathfinder is just revving and not moving as if it’s in neutral.
*Pull over on the shoulder and shut it off. No smoking. Sit there for a few minutes and let it cool down.
*Restart the car and it goes in drive and let’s me get to work. I didn’t trust it to get back on the highway so right now it’s just sitting in the gated parking lot safe.

Any idea what the heck caused this one?! Thanks for any input guys. And btw, I haven’t had a chance to hook it up to scan TCU for codes or anything yet. Just figured this has had to have happened to someone else with how many of them are on the road.
[/b]

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:22 am

Trans fluid level OK?
Correct trans fluid?
Changed recently?
By-pass or new radiator installed?

Db615

Postby Db615 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 am

eieio wrote:Trans fluid level OK?
Correct trans fluid?
Changed recently?

- Trans fluid is factory spec. Have not serviced the trans recently regarding fluid/filter - trans service is probably overdue

- I know I’ve taken it in for all of its recalls and I believe the radiator issue contaminating the trans was one of them? Maybe I’m wrong. Aside from that, I’ve never replaced the radiator, so I’m hoping it’s not the contamination issue.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am

Db615 wrote:
Correct trans fluid?
Changed recently?

- Trans fluid is factory spec. Have not serviced the trans recently regarding fluid/filter - trans service is probably overdue

- I know I’ve taken it in for all of its recalls and I believe the radiator issue contaminating the trans was one of them? Maybe I’m wrong. Aside from that, I’ve never replaced the radiator, so I’m hoping it’s not the contamination issue.
radiators weren't replaced under warranty unless there was a trans failure caused by the failed radiator.
that almost always involved a transmission replacement as well.
check the trans fluid very carefully for contamination at this point.
unfortunately, it's the most likely problem.
warm it up and inspect the oil on the trans dip stick.
if it's contaminated, it will have a milky appearance (some call it "strawberry milkshake").
trans filter is a metal screen, ordinarily not replaced or serviced as part of maintenance.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Db615 wrote:
Correct trans fluid?
Changed recently?

Welcome to the path!

There was never a recall done on this the so called SMOD ( strawberry milkshake of death)

On model years 05-10 (but especially on 05-08) models the factory heat exchange in the transmission has gaskets that are prone to leaking.
When coolant and ATF mix the transmission invariably gets completely destroyed (clutch packs and valve body and transmission control)

Do as previous poster suggested and check under the radiator cap ASAP.
It is possible (but not common) to save a transmission when caught quickly by multiple tranny flushes.

Search for transmission fluid replacement on here.
Use the Castrol Import ATF its MUCH cheaper than dealer and its the right Nissan spec fluid.

There are threads on here how to do it.. you bypass the radiator.. refill radiator and transmission.. transmission will need to be drained and filled... then driven ... then drained and filled.. then driven 3 times or so.. the more often the better...

Or it could be a simply problem.. but these transmission are usually strong and rarely break unless its SMOD.

Its also possible your tranny fluid got so dirty its clogging up the valvebody.. that would produce the symptom u describe.
Count yourself very lucky when u check the rad and the fluid does not look milky and/or frothy.

Even if its clear as a minimum do the bypass right now... and then once u fixed the other issue replace the radiator..

Db615

Postby Db615 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Db615 wrote:
Correct trans fluid?
Changed recently?

Welcome to the path!

There was never a recall done on this the so called SMOD ( strawberry milkshake of death)

On model years 05-10 (but especially on 05-08) models the factory heat exchange in the transmission has gaskets that are prone to leaking.
When coolant and ATF mix the transmission invariably gets completely destroyed (clutch packs and valve body and transmission control)

Do as previous poster suggested and check under the radiator cap ASAP.
It is possible (but not common) to save a transmission when caught quickly by multiple tranny flushes.

Search for transmission fluid replacement on here.
Use the Castrol Import ATF its MUCH cheaper than dealer and its the right Nissan spec fluid.

There are threads on here how to do it.. you bypass the radiator.. refill radiator and transmission.. transmission will need to be drained and filled... then driven ... then drained and filled.. then driven 3 times or so.. the more often the better...

Or it could be a simply problem.. but these transmission are usually strong and rarely break unless its SMOD.

Its also possible your tranny fluid got so dirty its clogging up the valvebody.. that would produce the symptom u describe.
Count yourself very lucky when u check the rad and the fluid does not look milky and/or frothy.

Even if its clear as a minimum do the bypass right now... and then once u fixed the other issue replace the radiator..
- Thanks for all of the helpful info. Greatly appreciated. I’ll definitely try all those things and HOPE that keeps it in the game without a rebuild. A rebuild isn’t exactly something I’ve been saving up for so that would be a problem lol. I have heard about the SMOD, and I’m crossing my fingers that’s not the case. It’s been the first time in 165k miles I’ve had any kind of trans issue with it at all. I will do those things in a few days and report back. Hopefully fluid/filter etc will do the trick. Fingers crossed. Thanks again guys.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Check if its SMOD RIGHT NOW!

It has to be done FAST!
If its SMOD every hour the coolant is in the ATF is damaging the transmisison.

The only people who were able to save their transmission from SMOD acted RIGHT AWAY.

It could be something else.. as a very minimum but as a minimum:

- Check if its SMOD. if yes then ; do the mutliuple transmission fill and drains...
- If no then you can wait ....but do the bypass right away anyway....this is so easy even I could do it.. needs nearly no mechanical expertise.. just being a guy is sufficient.
( explained how to here in forum)

Da_Q-ban_1

Postby Da_Q-ban_1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 pm

How did it go for OP? Was he able to check if it was in fact SMOD?

I actually DID find an oily thick substance under my (old) radiator about six months ago, which scared me to death, as I thought perhaps it was starting to happen (SMOD), but when I dropped the pan, fluid looked normal, a bit darker than when i initially checked it 2-3years prior, but not milky or oddly discolored in any way.

In any case, I replaced the radiator, dropped pan, and replaced filter and fluid (roughly 3-4qts if I recall correctly), among other things. But my tranny gets the odd RPM flare up and or shudder every once in a while. Changing fluid and coolant did not change the intermittent but consistently erratic shifting.

Is it possible that the oily buildup under old radiator cap was just old coolant mixed with engine sediment/particulates from its passages?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 am

With these aluminum block and head engines, you almost never see any sediment or oily substances in the oil (assuming they've been properly serviced at the recommended intervals) unless there is something wrong. Now, whether there's an issue with yours, I cannot say.

Db615

Postby Db615 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 am

Hey everyone, just checking back in to let everyone know what’s going on. The transmission has NOT been dropped yet. Also, I have another vehicle so I just left it in the work parking lot for a little while. Anyway, checked coolant and no evidence of SMOD. Got under the vehicle and engine and trans pan are bone dry. Took the 10mm bolt off to check trans level, and metal pieces came out of the dipstick. (Maybe I shredded a gear?) ATF level was normal, but as I kept dipping it back in, small pieces kept coming out. Called a couple trans builders. Guy said the 5AT jatco was one of the best transmissions he’s ever seen and they usually only fail due to the radiator issue or hard use. Said he sees them go over 200k with proper service and a bypass and said he usually honors their warranty after expiration because after the rebuild they usually never break. Said it’s absolutely worth fixing and max it would run me is $2500 but said so far it’s looking like a rebuild.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 am

Db615 wrote:Hey everyone, just checking back in to let everyone know what’s going on. The transmission has NOT been dropped yet. Also, I have another vehicle so I just left it in the work parking lot for a little while. Anyway, checked coolant and no evidence of SMOD. Got under the vehicle and engine and trans pan are bone dry. Took the 10mm bolt off to check trans level, and metal pieces came out of the dipstick. (Maybe I shredded a gear?) ATF level was normal, but as I kept dipping it back in, small pieces kept coming out. Called a couple trans builders. Guy said the 5AT jatco was one of the best transmissions he’s ever seen and they usually only fail due to the radiator issue or hard use. Said he sees them go over 200k with proper service and a bypass and said he usually honors their warranty after expiration because after the rebuild they usually never break. Said it’s absolutely worth fixing and max it would run me is $2500 but said so far it’s looking like a rebuild.
Agree 100% with everything your transmission guy said.
Sounds like he really knows what he is talking about.
A good sign!

$2500 is also a good offer if indeed it needs a rebuild (which is what it appears)

Even though many go further, all things considered 165,000 miles is not a longevity to complain about (especially considering u have one of those model years in risk of SMOD.. it could have easily happened years ago)

PS: If its a SMOD endangered vehicle (model years 05-10) a replacement radiator is the best practices choice over a bypass. It does help keep the tranny cooler. ...wheras the bypass is missing that element... despite the presence of an external tranny cooler people have measured higher temps of the ATF.. it does run cooler under load with the radiator vs a bypass.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Price sounds fair and I agree that it's a good transmission model. I have over 200,000 miles on my 06 and 260,000 on my 08. Both have only had drain and fills every 50-60,000 miles with Maxlife ATF and both shift like they did when they were new.

Db615

Postby Db615 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:46 am

Yeah, I really can’t complain about getting 165 out of the trans given the year and issues. I also looked and I do have the factory Nissan radiator. So maybe I set a record? Lol. Will definitely just get a new radiator while it’s down, being as that’s its main flaw. And if I was rich, I wouldn’t be in an 06 pathfinder lol so I definitely don’t want to be rebuilding anything else on it again because of leaving a cheap (in retrospect) part on it. All things considering though, I own the car (clean title/never wrecked), it’s still in good shape, leather, third row, heated seats, touch screen, viper remote start, etc. midnight blue on cafe latte two-toned interior. I genuinely like it. And also considering I just had a head gasket done 15k miles ago, plus with this trans rebuild, there’s no reason with proper service I shouldn’t get a lot more out of it with only being in the 160s. Am I wrong? And the car’s still worth more than the $2500-3k I’ll put into it after all that being done. I also just put brand new tires on it. Anyways, sucks, but that’s part of living life.

Db615

Re: Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

Postby Db615 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:59 am

Just an update. I did spend $3200 on a full rebuild replacing everything including new valve body, torque converter, pump, etc. with a 2 year warranty. It was full of metal shavings and coolant. Did the bypass as well. The fluid was gray. Drives and shifts amazing now. Was worth the money for sure.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 am

Db615 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:59 am
Just an update. I did spend $3200 on a full rebuild replacing everything including new valve body, torque converter, pump, etc. with a 2 year warranty. It was full of metal shavings and coolant. Did the bypass as well. The fluid was gray. Drives and shifts amazing now. Was worth the money for sure.
Awesome!!
Glad to hear you put the investment in that sweet ride.
Waaay better than replacing it ...

Stock radiator though huh?
Lots and lots of people have had great experience with the bypass even in warm climates.. still the perfectionist in me would want a new rad ( at 160k might be time anyway)..

But i get it... if i had just spent 3200 bucks I might not be so eager to spend more on top of it..

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”