Pathfinder 2012 ABS Issue

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Mal8504925

Pathfinder 2012 ABS Issue

Postby Mal8504925 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 am

Hello I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. I started getting problems a couple of moths ago when it would occasionally react like one of the wheels have locked up and ABS would kick in, this became more frequent until now every time you press the brake it kickbacks like a wheel has locked up, now soon after this the ABS light (and other associated systems) come on the dash. The lights reset with the key but Within a couple of min same scenario happen and ABS light are on again. I have had the Codes read and they are C1154 PNP Circuit open or short, C1163 Steering angle sensor circuit fault and C1115 Wheel speed sensor input fault. So far I have cleaned and inspected rear speed sensor/rings (couldn’t find any fault), changed front hubs and speed sensors but problem still happening. Do you guys have any thoughts/recommendations? many thanks Mal.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 am

Check the wires going to the wheel sensors to see if there in any damage or open wire that could cause an intermittent short which confuses the ABS computer and then it shuts off.

On my 05, I've changed the rear ABS harness (cost about $250) and that solved my issue. On my rogue, it was the front passenger wheel that caused the issue due to a damaged harness. ABS harnesses aren't chep, so shotgunning parts is expensive. Do an inspection and see if you can find damage. On both of mine it was easy to see once I got in close. Cracks and bare wire showing.

Unfortunately, with the codes you provided, we can't narrow it down to a specific wheel that is the problem. Keep in mind (as you probably are already aware) the rear harness is one piece. When I replaced mine it took about 20 minutes.

Mal8504925

Postby Mal8504925 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks for the response, I noticed when I drove the car tonight that before the ABS failed that the speedometer was fluctuating, after the ABS failed it is steady, would that suggest that the issue would more than likely be on the front sensors/wires as I believe speed is measured through front speed sensors if ABS is active. Or am I mistaken? Mal

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:05 pm

I disagree on that one.

When my rear abs harness failed the speedo and odometer would keep running, so it seemed to be running off of the rear.

I need to find my post from back then. It was about 2 years ago.

Mal8504925

Postby Mal8504925 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:40 am

Thanks for your help Terry, it’s so helpful to have 2minds thinking over the problem as it’s being driving me mad for the last wee while.

I’m not sure if I was clear enough on my last post when I said the Speedo was steady when the ABS fails. I actually meant it was works better/perfectly when ABS fails (ABS lights on the dash all lit) and speedo Fluctuates slightly before the Failure when I get my brake kickback under all braking. This suggests there is an imbalanced in the system that monitors and sends data to the speedo. When the ABS system Fails this imbalance goes away, if I can figure out what sensors are used under normal working conditions to give data to the Speedo I can hopefully narrow down where the problem is.

Hopefully this makes a little more sense.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:53 am

Found my post from 2017:

viewtopic.php?t=15693&highlight=abs

You have to get closer to the bottom to find the resolution.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”