Advice Needed

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

MadDogJacoby

Advice Needed

Postby MadDogJacoby » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:15 am

So I took my pathy apart, overhauled it while doing the timing/water pump at 200,000miles. Did the knock sensor, replaced all the tubing both pcv and heater hoses. Replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, intake, and throttle body. Probably did more I can't rememeber. Replaced fuel filter and pump. Even got the crank position sensor, that was a real POS.

When I went to turn it, it turned over, no ignition. I checked about everything. Fuel was good, there was spark present, I checked the MCCS relay (something close to that), but according to the Haynes Manual, after the relay and checking the wiring, its a ECU/IAC issue.

So i sent the ECU in and got it worked on. Do you have any advice for me before I put it all back together?

MadDogJacoby

Re: Advice Needed

Postby MadDogJacoby » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Update: turns out somehow someway a piece of plastic got into the ECU pins. Luckily standing there scratching my head for a long time and tracing wires kept me coming back to the ECU

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Thank you so much for the update!!
Sorry no one ever got to your questions R50 expertise is not as common as R51.. :oops:

MadDogJacoby

Postby MadDogJacoby » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 pm

I knew it was a long shot, especially when I mentioned the ECU.

I can’t believe that little piece of plastic only covered the ignition pins... everything else was fine. Even continuity tests from connectors thru harness.

It’s the little stuff that’ll getcha

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Thanks for sticking around and updating us.
This is how we build data for the community!

dksellschicago

Postby dksellschicago » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am

Great job staying on top of it! Too quickly do we tend to just start replacing parts instead of digging in and trying to actually diagnose. ( I was a diesel mechanic for 15 years and was a huge stickler for proper diagnostics). So, KUDOS to you bud!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”