Glowing LEDs

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Twospeed

Glowing LEDs

Postby Twospeed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm

So I had a dome light burn out and I decided to go with LED replacements so I could get brighter lights inside. It looks much better than the incandescent bulbs. I replaced all five bulbs. A few days ago I noticed the bulbs glowing when the PF is turned off. I checked them several times and made sure not to open the door when I was checking. They were still glowing the next morning. I thought I was seeing things but when I turn the lights off using the switch on the light, the glow goes away so they are lit. Has anyone else noticed this or do I need to start searching for a solution. 2006 LE.

Joao

Postby Joao » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm

That's just the nature of LED's in the dome lights since they always have a small amount of power going to them... you will see them very dimly lit while driving or when first unlocking the car.

However, You should notice that 5 minutes after locking your car doors they will shut off completely. Well, at least they do on my 2012... not 100% sure about other years. Regardless, even if they don't shut off after the doors are locked. they Draw so little current that you shouldn't have a battery draining issue.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:57 pm

That's exactly how it was in my 2005, but the last set of "CANBUS error free" LED's I got do not glow under the trace current that goes through the system.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

These are ridiculously bright, which may not be your thing, but it works for me. I hate futzing with gear in my truck in the dark after surfing late or night time mountain biking, so I upgrade every year or two as LED's get brighter.

But as Joao says, the lights do turn themselves off after a while. All years should do that.

FWIW my truck is now all-LED except for the headlights and foglights, where I didn't have great experiences in the past. May try again now that some of the newer kits are adjustable for focal length in the stock housing though.

Twospeed

Postby Twospeed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:03 pm

I was hoping that was the case. I don't mind. I don't think they've affected anything other than my curiosity. Well, anxiety maybe. :) I might try brighter, though. Thanks.

Return to “R51 Electrical”