2017 PF Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF Sensor

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eruby

2017 PF Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF Sensor

Postby eruby » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 am

Well I got stranded yesterday about 3 miles from the house. 2.5 years with my PF with no issues. I started thru a traffic light and the motor stumbled a little then stalled. I was able to roll into a center lane out of traffic flow, put it in park and try to start. The engine would start then immediately stall. Called AAA for a tow. When the tow truck came, the driver said he was a mechanic. He said it was acting like the MAF sensor was an issue even though I had no check engine light on. He disconnected the MAF sensor and the PF started right up but now I have the check engine light on. He said I could drive it home like that but I didn't trust it. I asked what would happen if we plugged in the cable and he said it would probably stall. It didn't. He drove it up the flatbed tow truck and we took it to Nissan. 3 months out of warranty - go figure. $125 just for the diagnostic test. What a rip off. Anyway, I find out today what the diagnostic test says. Nissan tells me if it's the MAF sensor, it will be $500-$600 to replace. I don't think so. Told him I would probably replace it myself. He said it would be better for them to do it so I get a genuine Nissan OEM part. I laughed and said "because this one lasted so long". He chuckled some too on that.

Anyone have a suggestion on what brand and where I should purchase a new one? I see them online anywhere from about $90 to $230. I've always liked Bosch sensors but I don't know if they make one from the PF.

eruby

Re: 2017 PF Mass Air Flow Sensor MAF Sensor

Postby eruby » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:08 am

Diagnostics came in. Looks like it is the MAF Sensor. The sealer wants $486 to replace it. It's 2 screws on the airbox. I can get an Hitachi MAF sensor for under $50. Anyone know what Nissan uses for OEM sensors?

Oh and they are telling me I need Fuel Induction Service for $120. What's involved with that? Something I can do myself? Kinda sounds like it if they are only charging $120 for that service.
1592499543807.png

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:13 am

actually $468 from the dealer if its including the OEM part is a really good deal.
OEM MAFs at full retail are like 700 bucks just the part (at least it was on my 350Z which has he same engine so I presume same MAF sensor, of this this was years ago so prices may have changed.. still back then I would have been ecstatic to get a 468 USD new MAF install)

Aftermarket parts chain MAFs are often not very good.

I had both that I bought (when I refused to pay 700 USD for a OEM part), fail.
The first one failed completely in less 48 hour and the second one never worked properly, only kinda sorta.. some of the time.
I later sold that car to a friend with full disclosure of the problem. since it was no longer something I drove a lot anyway.

A used OEM MAF from a junkyard is probably your best bet if you want to save money.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 am

The fuel induction cleaning is best done when the MAF is off anyway.
This is something you can ( carefully ) do yourself with the BG44K stuff

eruby

Postby eruby » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:13 am
actually $468 from the dealer if its including the OEM part is a really good deal.
OEM MAFs at full retail are like 700 bucks just the part (at least it was on my 350Z which has he same engine so I presume same MAF sensor, of this this was years ago so prices may have changed.. still back then I would have been ecstatic to get a 468 USD new MAF install)

Aftermarket parts chain MAFs are often not very good.

I had both that I bought (when I refused to pay 700 USD for a OEM part), fail.
The first one failed completely in less 48 hour and the second one never worked properly, only kinda sorta.. some of the time.
I later sold that car to a friend with full disclosure of the problem. since it was no longer something I drove a lot anyway.

A used OEM MAF from a junkyard is probably your best bet if you want to save money.
Someone on another form said the OEM sensor was a Hitachi. I ordered a new Hitachi off Amazon yesterday for $30. Be here today.
I also bought a can of MAF Sensor cleaner. In researching this, a mechanic for another auto manufacturer mentioned they have never had a MAF sensor failure. He said they just need to be cleaned but many dealers will just sell the customer a new one. I picked up the car yesterday from the stealer. Everything running fine and no code. Probably try cleaning the original first but keep the new one in the car. Looks like a simple job to replace - even if I had to do it on the side of the road.
Also bought a bottle of Fuel System cleaner to dump in the tank. Read online about the induction cleaning and it appears to be a direct insertion of a liquid cleaner into the motor at a slow pace. The article said it's about $10 of product and 20 minutes of shop time so that makes sense why they are charging $120. The article also said it should be done at 60K miles. I just turned 30K so maybe I'll let them do it at 60K.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am

Hopefully that MAF will work out well for you.

Cleaning a MAF is something done with care.
It seems like you have mapped out a good path forward for both issues.

(Though, I agree at 30k you shouldn't need the TB cleaning yet)

eruby

Postby eruby » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 am

OK 1 more question. There are 2 different MAF sensors for the 2017 PF. 22680-3VA0A for engine code VQ35DE and 22680-BV80V for engine code VQ35DD. Where do I find the engine code for my PF?

eruby

Postby eruby » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 am

eruby wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:59 am
OK 1 more question. There are 2 different MAF sensors for the 2017 PF. 22680-3VA0A for engine code VQ35DE and 22680-BV80V for engine code VQ35DD. Where do I find the engine code for my PF?
Never mind. Inputting the VIN on the Nissan parts website resulted in my PF has the VQ35DD engine.

Return to “R52 Electrical”