Wading depth?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Wading depth?

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 am

Do we have a published wading depth?

I know its not good for the diffs and the alternator.. but a lot of proper 4WD have a wading depth published.
For example the range rovers usually are at 600 mm

silverarrow27

Re: Wading depth?

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:56 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm
Only one I found...450 mm.

https://www.leisurewheels.co.za/driving ... S) system.
Nice find!!
Finally someone has found a hard number!
(I know I know.. "fording depth" really means you will not lose your engine... the long term threat to bearings, alternator and diffs especially rear diff from water crossings are huge)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 am

I've been doing some light reading about wading in our vehicles as well. There seems to be a mix of information on the rear diffs. I've seen a member say his info from a Nissan Tech is that the rear diff is sealed while other members say the rear diff's breathing tube goes up behind one of the wheels? And then the evap system in the rear also?

Alternator is definitely understandable as my brother with the FJ Cruiser had firsthand issues with his after going through a fairly deep puddle. Might be good to always carry tools and spare suspension components and alternator when going out into the wilderness.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:09 am

I expect the R51 diff to be a carbon copy of the Xterras non locking diff.
The Xterra guys say the diff is the weak spot for wading because the breather element sits really low.

I will do the rear diff breather mod on my my vehicles when I am back in US>

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:37 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 am
I've been doing some light reading about wading in our vehicles as well. There seems to be a mix of information on the rear diffs. I've seen a member say his info from a Nissan Tech is that the rear diff is sealed while other members say the rear diff's breathing tube goes up behind one of the wheels? And then the evap system in the rear also?

Alternator is definitely understandable as my brother with the FJ Cruiser had firsthand issues with his after going through a fairly deep puddle. Might be good to always carry tools and spare suspension components and alternator when going out into the wilderness.
I've driven through some fairly deep streams without a problem...yet. You could easily buy some tubing and run breather lines wherever, or install one of the ARB breathers that will accept multiple lines (best solution). Real reason I'm replying is because of your "evap system" comment. I spent most of today pulling out my evap canister and blowing out copious amounts of dust from inside it. Every time I have driven off road the last few years, I also get the P0448 code, which references a short circuit but is actually dust/dirt ingress in the evap crap. All of that is located on the driver's side just behind the rear wheel. No way in hell would I want to hit water deeper than that location.

Return to “R51 General Chat”