Mounting rooftop tent

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

TNhunter

Mounting rooftop tent

Postby TNhunter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I want to purchase a rooftop tent soon (something like the Roofnest Falcon) - but I'm pretty certain I don't want to use the flimsy crossbars on my roof rack for mounting it. What options have people used mounting a rooftop tent on their R51. I'll be mounting it on my 2012 Model S 4x4.

k2sb2003

Re: Mounting rooftop tent

Postby k2sb2003 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:03 pm

The cross bars on the factory roof rack are actually pretty stout. They are rated for 220lbs I think.

I used it to hold my Tepui 1.9M RTT.

Neeginan

Re: Mounting rooftop tent

Postby Neeginan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:40 am

I mounted my RTT on the factory roof rack and roof rails. No problem. Quite strong for a factory setup. Yes, there was a document (was a link here in thenissanpath) that verified the 220 lb dynamic weight rating of the roof rack, but I could no longer find it available online. Even if you look at the owner's manual, it says 200 pounds. That is the dynamic weight rating. Dynamic is when you are driving your vehicle and there is motion, and static is when your vehicle is stationary. Stationary rating is typically 3X the dynamic rating. So your RTT plus whoever is sleeping in it should probably be 600 lbs or less. OR, 660lbs or less if you find the other document and want to believe it.

I thought about getting a 'third' roof rack rail for the factory setup to have an extra rail to distribute the weight. I didn't get around to it. After using just the two rails and having zero problems for my wife and I, I decided not to pursue the idea.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”