Volume Up On Steering Wheel

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

NWPathfinder

Volume Up On Steering Wheel

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 pm

Hey all,

So my 09 Pathfinder Volume button on the steering wheel Sporadically works. It only works in a certain position IE about 30 degrees turned right. Everything else works. I contemplated pulling the Steering wheel as I wondered if it was the contact on the steering ring. Just thought I'd ask here before I delve into this. The thought of trying to pull an airbag wheel off does in fact scare me a little. I'm told disconnect the battery and wait at least 30 minutes before you even try?

Anyways, anybody have any other thoughts?
Cheers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Volume Up On Steering Wheel

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:08 pm

The switch is part of a switch assembly as pictured:

There is no "horn ring," like in older vehicles back in the 70s and earlier. The switches are all wired and pass through the clockspring or "spiral cable." You should disconnect the battery and wait 10-minutes before attempting to remove the air bag to access the switch panels. There's not much you can do with them other than replace the switch assembly. If you sprayed electronic contact cleaner into it, you'd probably damage the plastic finisher. If you have a lot of patience and are careful, you could try taking the switch apart to clean it, but be prepared to replace the switch if you should break it even more.

NWPathfinder

Re: Volume Up On Steering Wheel

Postby NWPathfinder » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 am

Ahhh Gotcha! I had no idea. I've always wondered how they got all those controls on to a steering wheel. I'll leave it for now but, it's on the list. Thanks!!!

Return to “R51 Electrical”