Steering Rack Bushings Install

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Code Pathfinder

Steering Rack Bushings Install

Postby Code Pathfinder » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:23 pm

My super pro suspensions steering rack bushings showed up today.

Overall took me about 2 hours to install.

The hard part was getting the bushing with the slit down the collar to clamp down on the steering rack.

To install these bushings you need to do the following.

1. Raise the vehicle if yours does not have alot of clearance underneath the vehicle. (IE you are on stock or lowered suspension)

2. Unbolt the skid plate.

3. Unbolt the brackets and lower the swaybar to the ground. You dont need to fully remove it but you can if you want to.

4. behind the swaybar, you will see 3 bolts. those bolts hold the steering rack in place. Unbolt the steering rack bolts using a 24mm socket on the head of the bolt and a 22mm wrench to hold the other side in place. Bolt head is 24mm nut is 22mm

5. pry the bushings out of the 2 drivers side sleeves using a screwdriver or small crow/prybar. These are not in very tight and should come out with a little bit of pressure.

6. The passenger side bushing has a clamp with two bolts. One bolt is located on the top of the clamp. the other bolt is the one you removed from earlier.

7. the top bolt on the passenger side bushing clamp can be a PITA to get out. I recommend rotating the clamp as far as you can until you can slip an impact driver or impact gun on the nut. You will need to use a universal joint and a 19mm socket if you plan to go this route. Otherwise you can try your luck with a 19mm wrench. PB blaster and Heat can also help.

8. Once the clamp is unbolted, you can remove the old rubber style bushing off the steering rack.

9. Installation is the reversal of these instructions. I must note that the new poly bushing for the clamp may give you fight going back onto the truck. Tighten the top clamp bolt down first, then try and finagle the bottom through bolt into the clamp. You'll curse like a sailor for this step but yell a sigh of relief when its done.

10. There you have it! brand new steering rack bushings from super pro suspensions.

You will definitely feel a HUGE difference in your steering response. The wheel has no more play in it, and it pretty much hinders the wandering from left to right down the road when traveling
at high speeds.

PHOTOS OF BUSHINGS INSTALLED:

Drivers side bushings

Passengers side bushing

ShipFixer

Re: Steering Rack Bushings Install

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:03 pm

You know the only thing better than poly steering bushings?

Delrin steering rack bushings. 8)

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Delrin Bushings are also great to use!

I decided to go with this kit over the Delrin Kit because it had the passenger side clamp style bushing as well.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:02 am

Do you have a part number for the kit?

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Yes I do

Part Number is: spf3028k

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”