Heated steering wheel install

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

brickbox

Heated steering wheel install

Postby brickbox » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:34 pm

So, after many months of just putzing around town in the Pathy (thanks Covid!), I am getting restless at tackling a project and am toying with the idea of adding heated steering wheel to my Silver edition 2011 Pathy.

Coming fresh off the install of heated seats in my other car for the upcoming cold months, I am about as ready as I'm every going to feel to tackle this install.

In preparation, I got my hands on a used a heated steering wheel of an '08 LE as well as the dash switch and connectors with some wiring. I have a 5 pin relay and the combination switch (with the extra connector, p/n#25560-9CH5A) on it's way from a Nissan dealer in FL!

My current plan for powering the heated steering wheel is to use an "Add a circuit" in the little fuse panel that's in the passenger cabin.
Had a couple of questions that I am hoping the knowledgeable folks can here with:
1. Is there a diagram on what fuses are what or do I have to physically look within the panel? I may have missed it, but I didn't find a table listing the fuses in section 8-25 of the owners manual
2. The '08 has a different set of switches on the steering wheel itself. I was wondering if I can just swap those switches off the steering wheel of my 2011?

I will definitely have more questions along the way, but for now I have to wait for 2 weeks before I have all the parts in hand.

Thanks!

brickbox

Re: Heated steering wheel install

Postby brickbox » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:00 am

No love? Am I the only wanting to have a heated steering wheel amongst those without a LE? :mrgreen:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 pm

I have an 06 LE and it doesn't have a heated steering wheel. I have a steering wheel cover over it, anyway, so it wouldn't benefit me any. I recall someone else talking about doing this, but I don't remember if he ever did it or how he made out. So, you probably won't hear to much about this because I don't think there are many people who have actually done it.

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 am

Winter is here in full effect and I admittedly kinda gave up on this till I got the whole radiator/fan clutch project done and completed. But with the cold mornings, I’m back wondering on the logistics of this.

1. Removing the steering wheel is documented online so I get that.
2. Removal of the clock spring is also documented online and I can do it.
3. Question on clockspring: since the sensor is an integral part of it and requires calibration, should I switch the angle sensor between my current non heated steering wheel sensor or is there a way for me to be able to calibrate/register the new sensor in the heated steering wheel clockspring by myself?
4. I plan to use a 5 pin relay to control the heating element. Any advise on where I can grab the power from and be able to connect it to the clockspring safely? My current plan is to use an “add a circuit” from one of the fuses in the interior panel by the passenger ac vent. It looks like there is a 2 wire connector in the back of the clockspring for this. Any idea which is positive and which is ground?
5. On the dash switch for the heated steering wheel, there are 3 illumination pins. Can you please provide insight into which pins come from where?

If I can’t do the steering wheel angle sensor calibration/reset, ill drop this project I swear :mrgreen:
Thanks!

shoman94

Postby shoman94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:59 am

brickbox wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 am
Winter is here in full effect and I admittedly kinda gave up on this till I got the whole radiator/fan clutch project done and completed. But with the cold mornings, I’m back wondering on the logistics of this.

1. Removing the steering wheel is documented online so I get that.
2. Removal of the clock spring is also documented online and I can do it.
3. Question on clockspring: since the sensor is an integral part of it and requires calibration, should I switch the angle sensor between my current non heated steering wheel sensor or is there a way for me to be able to calibrate/register the new sensor in the heated steering wheel clockspring by myself?
4. I plan to use a 5 pin relay to control the heating element. Any advise on where I can grab the power from and be able to connect it to the clockspring safely? My current plan is to use an “add a circuit” from one of the fuses in the interior panel by the passenger ac vent. It looks like there is a 2 wire connector in the back of the clockspring for this. Any idea which is positive and which is ground?
5. On the dash switch for the heated steering wheel, there are 3 illumination pins. Can you please provide insight into which pins come from where?

If I can’t do the steering wheel angle sensor calibration/reset, ill drop this project I swear :mrgreen:
Thanks!
Have you made any progress on this? I have a 2011 Silver and I read somewhere that the wiring harness for the Silver is the same as the LE. Maybe just having the LE steering wheel and factory switch will allow this to work?

Edit: BTW, have you seen this thread? https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/he ... ll.311505/

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:33 pm

I have an SE,
its loaded up with packages like an LE and is missing only 2 things to be a full LE equivalent.

- Navigation and

- Heated steering wheel.

Thread Subscribed

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Actually, navigation was optional on the LE trim. I don't have it on mine. Faux wood trim is, however, part of the LE package.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 am

brickbox wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:34 pm
In preparation, I got my hands on a used a heated steering wheel of an '08 LE as well as the dash switch and connectors with some wiring. I have a 5 pin relay and the combination switch (with the extra connector, p/n#25560-9CH5A) on it's way from a Nissan dealer in FL!
Ok, so first I have to ask, You live in Florida and you need a heated steering wheel? Lol.

I live in Saskatchewan, and is been -40° all f'n week. I work from home, but it's been below -45 in the mornings so the school buses are cancelled which means I'm driving my son and my niece to school everyday, and driving my wife to work. We had a heated steering wheel in our 2016 pathy, and it is honestly the only thing that I miss, especially this week. Ok, and command start.

Anyway I found this thread and got excited. Let us know how it turns out. Out of curiosity I called the local Nissan dealer here and they out right refused to consider installing one for me. It wasn't offered as an option in the S, they said it didn't have the wiring, end of story. Thanks.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”