Alternator, Starter, Battery, etc. ?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

Alternator, Starter, Battery, etc. ?

Postby nismopath » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 am

This past week I have noticed an issue with starting. When I go to turn the engine over, I turn the key all the way but no crank. Lights come on, stereo comes on, but no noise of the engine starting. I tried to google but maybe I missed something and need some advice.
Most posts said there is a whining noise or clicking noise to indicate something specific. I am not getting any noise at all. This usually happens only once, then I try again and up she cranks. I haven't tested the battery yet, but I have a yellowtop Optimum that I believe it is only 2-3 years old.

silverarrow27

Re: Alternator, Starter, Battery, etc. ?

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Check your battery terminals and battery first.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Alternator, Starter, Battery, etc. ?

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:27 pm

I definitely agree with checking your battery and, especially, your battery terminals, first. The battery cable ends are notorious for not tightening up enough on these Nissans. Another possibility is a bad starter solenoid, which is part of the starter motor assembly. Sometimes tapping on them with a hammer can get them working during a no-start situation, but it's not the most accessible part on these trucks! There were some PNP switch issues on R51's, which is part of the transmission TCM/valve body assembly, but they usually set a trouble code. If your CEL is "on," have it checked for stored trouble codes and see if there is one for the PNP switch. For more trouble-shooting, go to the "service manuals" tab above and look up the factory service manual for your Pathy. There will be a section for "starting and charging" and it will have step-by-step diagnostics and wiring diagrams.

Return to “R51 Electrical”