Dash Squeak - Climate Control

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Dash Squeak - Climate Control

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Anyone have this problem?

When moving the climate control option around between zones (defog, feet, face, there is an obvious squeak while the damper is moving around. Sounds like two rubbing foam pieces against each other.

After turning off the truck, maybe after 30 seconds,I'm guessing the damper/zone defaults to a position, and the same squeaking noises exist for a few seconds before stopping.

The zone control works, but the damper / adjuster keeps making this noise between zones. Is this a wire or something that can be accessed? I'd hate to take apart the dash, if it's something that can be fixed in an easier method.

I'm assuming this is not a problem with a blend door actuator (as there is no clicking, and the damper zone control works), but the blend door rubbing around..

Thanks for any help / input / advice

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Dash Squeak - Climate Control

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 pm

The mode doors are all operated by electric actuators, so I would think that the noise would be either a bad actuator OR an issue with the mode door, itself (such as foam falling off of it and causing it to bind, etc.). It might be hard to diagnose without getting a good look from under the dash or possibly removing the dash and checking the HVAC unit.

TooMuchControl

Re: Dash Squeak - Climate Control

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Thank you for the input!

I will try to open up things and get at it with a stethoscope or something, through the centre dash.
It's always squeaking, an sounds like a Star Trek communicator, when moving between positions.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”