Auto Transmission Question

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Auto Transmission Question

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:38 pm

What would be, if any compatibility problems exist, in installing a Frontier 2017+ salvage transmission into a 2005?

I'm certain that my torque converter is on the way out, and will have to look at replacing it.
For the cost, a salvage tranny is probably $500 more, with ~30k miles on it, and it comes with the torque converter...

I tend to use Nissanpartsdeal as a compatability check, and there are simply too many decodings to know if it will work.

I'm thinking the tranny is the same throughout the builds from 2005-2019 and the vavlebody / TCM hasnt changed much as it's mated to the same 5 gear auto.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Auto Transmission Question

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:30 am

Mechanically, they are pretty much the same, however, there are a number of variations in the TCM/valve body assembly. I remember something about one of the solenoids had a low-resistance and high-resistance option, depending on year. The units in vehicles with hill assist had a different TCM/valve body than those without. Planetary gears with different ratios were used. Different torque converter and input shaft combinations were used. Different programming was used. Also, keep in mind there is a difference in weight between an R51 and D40, so that may have played into the choice of valve body and TCM programming. Most auto salvage yards with have a Hollander's interchange manual or program that will show what transmissions will work on your specific vehicle.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for the invalueable notes.
The quest begins!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:24 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm
Thank you so much for the invalueable notes.
The quest begins!
Any update? :)

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 pm

Couldn't find anything to contradict it. Tricky to commit to installing anything other than the year of the vehicle.

The logistics in finding the differences would have to be made on a spreadsheet.
I started the process, but it will take some time.

Personally, I think the main difference is the TCU programming, so far. Internals may have been updated, improved, etc.

Nissan is changing numbers up and down even based on the packages within the same model, and model year. Yet the rebuild kits are the same.

From 2014 onward, all Frontier transmissions are swapable, according to salvage. But they have different transmission numbers from the factory.

Tom foolery going on. It's hard to get a handle on it.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:59 pm

So I'v started back digging into this as time permits.

This is some useful stuff in regards to the transmissions:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... st-4809576

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/transmi ... le.269398/

The above links were for Xterra, but it seems that the critical points are
the TCM+Valve Body+Torque Converter MUST match the vehicle.
Adaptive Learn Procedures must follow after.

Looking on-line Nissanpartsdeal
- the torque converter, and the output shaft for all years 2005-2019 match between all models.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... ONG%2fBED)

This takes part of the question on how the splines an everything matches up out of the Tx, and the converter fits on the input shaft - so - if it hooks up from the back and the front, what's left.

I'm almost sold on the idea that a 2019 will perform fine

The dude on the BITOG is one savvy pro - so I would have to take that as an authority.

I'm just a bit puzzled on why the torque converter has to be swapped out. This is strict mechanical component - Nissan lists only one converter....

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... AUTO;6=LE)

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... ONG%2fBED)

Honestly, if money was not the object, I would be confident that if one was to swap over the critical TCM and valve body (which is matched to the truck), it would work.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Still watching :)

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:51 am

to confirm.
shuddering was getting bad, needed to swap torque converter.
Decided to be the first to try this.

2019 Frontier Transmission >> installed in 2005 R51. No issues.

Purchased a 2019 Frontier transmission (28k km) from a auto recycler.

Swapped over 2005 TCM and valve body into belly of the 2019 beast.
Everything is direct fit.

Works.

Nissan Manuals show that there gearing and shifting speeds are identical between all years of Frontier and Pathfinder on the 5 speed.

Gear ratios show there are the exact same in the transmissions.
Full and half throttle shifting speeds are the same in the Nissan service manuals.
Master rebuild kits from Transtar showed all models of Frontier, Xterra and Pathfinder are the same.
Torque converter for all models of Xterra, Frontier and Pathfinder are the same part # from Nissan.

Took a shot, knowing that at least I would have a low km Nissan torque converter at slightly more cost than a remanufactured one.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:54 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:51 am
to confirm.
shuddering was getting bad, needed to swap torque converter.
Decided to be the first to try this.

2019 Frontier Transmission >> installed in 2005 R51. No issues.

Purchased a 2019 Frontier transmission (28k km) from a auto recycler.

Swapped over 2005 TCM and valve body into belly of the 2019 beast.
Everything is direct fit.

Works.

Nissan Manuals show that there gearing and shifting speeds are identical between all years of Frontier and Pathfinder on the 5 speed.

Gear ratios show there are the exact same in the transmissions.
Full and half throttle shifting speeds are the same in the Nissan service manuals.
Master rebuild kits from Transtar showed all models of Frontier, Xterra and Pathfinder are the same.
Torque converter for all models of Xterra, Frontier and Pathfinder are the same part # from Nissan.

Took a shot, knowing that at least I would have a low km Nissan torque converter at slightly more cost than a remanufactured one.
What you are saying you just did this?? :D
How much did the transmisison cost?
How many hours did you spend on the install!

Would you consider a vid of it working? 8)

PS: If you dont mind, I might edit the thread title then and make this a sticky!

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Whoops! I didn't realize there was a follow up response / questions.

Yes.

I have a 2019 Nissan Frontier transmission running in my 2005.

It came off of a Pro-4X with some 28k.
I swapped over the TCM from the old to the 2019 - no problems.

What I did do - was - I tried using the 2019 valve body and the 2005 transmission, first.

It ran, but it kept throwing a code for pressure switch, so there is a difference in the valve bodies- somewhere.

I took many photos and inspected both valve bodies quite a bit, and I swear there was zero differences.

It cost me $800.00 CND for the transmission. It took me a few days to do this safely as this is the first time decided to tackle on such a job in my garage.

I needed to lift the truck just high enough to sneak it in there.

Running it since October.

There is a small difference in the shifting. I'm not sure if I got that torque converter in there properly. but it sure seemed ok.

From 2-5 it shifts just like the old one and smooth. You can slam the gas, and there is no hiccup or jerk.
The shift up, from 1-2, and down 2-1 is a bit shorter. I do not know why. It just engages too quickly and more of a bump. I may entertain dropping it out next Summer.

There is very very specific speeds/rpms on shifting, and ratios in the Nissan manuals - all they all match between the 05 Path and 19 Front. So this is a bit of mystery on what's different. I hold firm the belief that there's a simple reason it does it.

But I drive it everyday, it gives me no trouble at all, no codes.

It's a hybrid LOL.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”