nipple broke, recomend budget radiator

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

twinblown

nipple broke, recomend budget radiator

Postby twinblown » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:11 am

well most likely due to age the nipple on my original 05 radiator neck broke. Ive got a temporary fix on it with zip tie and plastic jb weld, lol. It's time to replace the radiator and im looking for recomends. looking to spend under $120. Im gonna keep the bypass so dont care much for a high quality or expensive replacement. All inputs welcome
txs

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: nipple broke, recomend budget radiator

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:13 am

Rockauto.com....CSF radiator #3196 for $80.79+shipping. Two-year warranty.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks Ill look into rock auto. Aside from CFS what about TYC or Denso? I somehow remember reading a while back that CFS rads had problems and were failing ....any truth to that?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Those problems were with the CSF all aluminum radiator, however TYC and Denso are also good choices. I haven't heard of any issues with the plastic-tanked, aftermarket radiators.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Got it. I went ahead and ordered it a few days back along with upper and lower hoses. Started to disassemble yesterday morning and all parts arrived in the afternoon just in time to put it all together. Overall not such a bad job.
For all you Do it your selfers its easier if your emove the skid plate and front lower lip in order to access the lower part of the fan shroud, then the upper shroud comes out easily. Also no need to remove the fan or fan clutch at all. Be extra carefull when handling the condenser and avoid any excesive movement when unmounting and mounting the condenser from the radiator (those are all aluminum lines at play). Pair of bungee cords help to hold it in place and towards the front ot the vehicle. I Filled up with coolant idled for a while to temperature with no expansion cap. Put cap on and went for a drive all good . Topped off the rad this morning and checked for leaks. Im happy with it. Oh I did stay with the bypass. :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:46 am

No real reason to stay with the bypass with the aftermarket radiators. I haven't heard of one cooler failure in the aftermarket radiators nor in the Nissan "Value Line" radiators.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”