Wheel Hub

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gn22

Wheel Hub

Postby Gn22 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi, is Detroit Axle Front Wheel Hub 2WD any good?
THANkS

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Wheel Hub

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:50 am

I've heard of some no so great reviews about them. You're better off going with Timken or Moog. Timken makes the OE part for Nissan.

Gn22

Postby Gn22 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 am

Thank you

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:16 pm

For budget considerations:

Take a look at Car-Part.com in your area, you might get lucky on a 2019/2020 Frontier with low clicks. They sell the front spindles with the hubs for probably ~$50-60. According to them, the 2019 are good for 2005 R51.

You would basically know that they are good if they came from the factory, and the truck is less than a year old. Even some 2015 models sit on the shelf for a few years, with very low miles.

They usually carry some basic warranty of 90 days. Good enough time to install and determine any issues IMHO.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Biggest problem with getting them used at a salvage yard is trying to get the ABS connector apart without damage. Dirt has a way of getting under the release tab and between the connectors, which can make it very hard to unplug the connector. Many times I've had to use dikes to carefully cut the outer connector (which is part of the hub's subharness) apart in order to remove it and not damage the main harness connector.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:08 am

Totally agree about the ABS sensor. I damaged the ones on my current wheel bearings. I swapped my old wheel bearings in front out with a pair of brand new Timkens yesterday. Glad these Timken wheel bearings were made in the USA.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 am

This is what I went through when I replaced mine:

Image Image

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:11 am

I remember seeing those pictures, my right side doesn't look half as bad as that. I took my sweet time prying the plug off with 3 thin flat head screwdrivers and a plier. I ended up cutting the left side on the wheel bearing side and since I'm still in the process of putting my control arms back on, I've been dreading working on the left plug.

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 am

That's funny. When I did mine this past summer (front passenger) I couldn't get the plug separated so I just took the sensor out of the wheel hub and kept the old one. It is working just fine!

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Ironically, I replaced mine with Frontier 2019 spindles this past weekend, and it went well. $100 plus taxes for two of them with warranty.

Those damn connectors. I used a small pick, and got them unplugged with a lot of careful tugging.

.. but then I thought "why didn't i use the CRC contact cleaner and blow the crap out of it" and then try it. :idea: That contact cleaner is very good quality and good for components such as this. Next time.

The bearings literally spun 90+ degrees in my hand, and the metal to metal was a bit obvious. They were completely shot. There was no play in the bearing, with the wheel on it. A "little" bit of grinding, so much so, you'd think it was the brake pad rubbing.

I used the spring method to detect that the bearings were gone. Even my mechanic told me not to replace the bearings, as he felt they were good from his testing.

I'm going to bring them in for him to see.

Now...for the rears....

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

wbruner wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 am
That's funny. When I did mine this past summer (front passenger) I couldn't get the plug separated so I just took the sensor out of the wheel hub and kept the old one. It is working just fine!
Unfortunately, that was the first thing I tried and the sensors were basically welded onto the wheel bearing assembly by rust.
TooMuchControl wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm
Ironically, I replaced mine with Frontier 2019 spindles this past weekend, and it went well. $100 plus taxes for two of them with warranty.

Those damn connectors. I used a small pick, and got them unplugged with a lot of careful tugging.

.. but then I thought "why didn't i use the CRC contact cleaner and blow the crap out of it" and then try it. :idea: That contact cleaner is very good quality and good for components such as this. Next time.

The bearings literally spun 90+ degrees in my hand, and the metal to metal was a bit obvious. They were completely shot. There was no play in the bearing, with the wheel on it. A "little" bit of grinding, so much so, you'd think it was the brake pad rubbing.

I used the spring method to detect that the bearings were gone. Even my mechanic told me not to replace the bearings, as he felt they were good from his testing.

I'm going to bring them in for him to see.

Now...for the rears....
I've always been skeptical of the CRC Contact Cleaner, I'm going to have to get a bottle and keep it on the shelf. I could have used that. The plugs were fill with sand. I actually find my Pathy has a lot of sand everywhere like the previous owner use to take it on the beach or lived on the beach or something. I did use some silicone grease on the plugs though, hopefully next time should be a lot easier that way.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”