TPS sensor

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Jkingman

TPS sensor

Postby Jkingman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Hey guys, this may be a dumb question but I am having trouble figuring out if it a TPS sensor or something else.
It always says it's the same tire location on my display(bottom left). Even if I switch the tires around. (My thoughts are if it were one tire the readout of where the dead sensor is would change with the tire).
This happened shortly after I went offroading so I don't know if there was a reader in the hub or axle or something that I knocked off.
Again sorry if this was a dumb question and thank you.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: TPS sensor

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 am

First, it's TPMS sensor. The TPMS control unit, which is built into the BCM, recognizes the sensor by where it was registered. Meaning, if you registered you sensors, which go in the order of left front, right front, right rear and left rear, that is where the TPMS controller assumes is the position of the sensor. If you were to have a slow leak at the left front tire that caused the TPMS warning light to go on, it would, at that point, trigger the code for the left front tire. However, let's say you rotated the tires front to rear and did not re-register the TPMS sensors. That same tire still has a slow leak and still triggers the code for the left front wheel, even though the actual position of that wheel is now in the left rear position. The same would be if you rotated that tire to the right rear position; if it were to go low, it still would trigger the left front position because that's where the tire was originally when it was last registered. So, the bottom line, if you want the TPMS controller to be accurate when it triggers a code, you need to re-register the TPMS sensors whenever you rotate the tires. Now, in order to find your problem sensor, you'll need to re-register the sensors and then erase the codes and see what code pops up. If a sensor doesn't register during the process, it's likely a dead sensor and needs to be replaced.

Jkingman

Postby Jkingman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 am

Wow, that was really well explained thank you so much! That cleared everything up. I saw how to reregister the tires on a different topic and will give that a try.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 am

Good info, I didn't realize I needed to re-register the TPMS when rotating tires. That will be on my list of things to do soon.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”