Question on steering wobble - is it normal?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Question on steering wobble - is it normal?

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Question on steering wobble when fully turning.

When turning fully to the right or left, let's say the car seems / or the wheel "wobbles" for what it seems a whole "flunk". There is no clunk or noise, it just feels like your tire went over a speed bump, let's say when turning into a parking spot with the steering wheel fully turned to the left or right.

I'm not fully certain if this has to do with normal operation of the CV axle with the front differential.
I don't have the 4WD engaged when I perform this.

Should this ever happen? Is the front differential and axle setup any different to that of let's say a FWD car?

Wondering if anyone had this happen, or I need to have a CV axle replaced / inspected.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Question on steering wobble - is it normal?

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:05 pm

Hmmm.. I struggle to picture what you are describing but a "wobble" where the wheel suddenly gives uneven response is not normal.

There are all sorts of bushings down there that may be bad.

Our resident expert SMJ will give you a more precise answer.

ShipFixer

Re: Question on steering wobble - is it normal?

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:06 am

The stock steering rack bushings are soft and lame. Delrin steering bushings from PRG for the win! My truck is pretty laser guided on the highway now, even downhill at speed with a heavy load. Maybe this is what your issue really is.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”