Anti rust chemicals.

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Anti rust chemicals.

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:00 pm

My frame has a lot of rust on it.
The frame is healthy and its all surface rust but there is a lot of it.

Similar to the frame of this members thread pics.
topic20679.html

So since i (or rather my shop) is redoing the suspension and taking everything off.
I thought now would be a good time to slow down the rust.
I know the gold standard solution is to take off the frame and sand it and repaint it.
The outlay to do this gratly exceeds the value of the vehicle and so it is out of the question.

So I am looking at products like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWHF4NoNVk

The rubber undercoating choices are also out since the shop does not want to do that in their workspace and besides they have some significant drawbacks as well.
I am thinking of maybe Fluid Film .
I know it wont stop rust like the marketing says but slowing it down is perfectly plausible IMHO.

Anyone here have experience with products like this?

silverarrow27

Re: Anti rust chemicals.

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:18 am

My personal experience so far is with the AGS Rust Paint and the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I've also had experience with Eastwood's two part rust converter, but it takes a bit more work although seems to work better than their rust encapsulator product. I was under my Pathy two weeks ago and noticed that some of the rust encapsulator have chipped off and the rust wasn't neutralized as it's suppose to. Eastwood two part rust converter I used on my 240sx chassis between the front driver door and fender. A quarter sized surface rust that I cleaned the best I can, went over it with the rust converter and rust is totally neutralized. I left that spot in its primered state just to see what would happen and about 10 years later, still looks the same. Rust hasn't spread.

So now I'm at a junction, do I chip off as much rust encapsulator as I can and paint the rear with the AGS Rust Paint? The AGS product seems to be doing well on my front end. Or do I just leave it and pick up a brand new rear subframe in a few years as I do plan to install a rear ARB locker and regear both diffs to 3.36. I can possibly do all that at one time.

I saw the same youtube vid when I was looking for a solution for my Pathy also and I didn't like Fluid Film due to the fact that it doesn't dry so it'll be picking up a lot of debris & dirt.

Return to “General Automotive”