Castrol Transmax Import or Valvoline Import Full Syn

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Castrol Transmax Import or Valvoline Import Full Syn

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Valvoline Import Full Synthetic according to bottle, Matic D, Matic J and Matic K

vs

Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle.

I know either one will be fine... but does anyone have a preference and if so why?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Castrol Transmax Import or Valvoline Import Full Syn

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:33 am

The valvoline is generally cheaper, at $25/5 qts at Walmart. I've been running it for 10 years now. Just hit 370k kms and knock on wood, no slips or issues. Also keep in mind I tow a travel trailer!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:22 am

I've always used Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF in all of my Nissan automatic transmissions.

cdretc

Postby cdretc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:14 pm

I currently have Castrol and seems to do a good job. I'm towing a lot and the fluid seems like new. I feel Castrol might be better quality, but I don't have data to back it up. I asked around and most import shops seem to use Castrol here.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 am

cdretc wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:14 pm
I currently have Castrol and seems to do a good job. I'm towing a lot and the fluid seems like new. I feel Castrol might be better quality, but I don't have data to back it up. I asked around and most import shops seem to use Castrol here.
I've heard that Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle is basically the same as NissanMatic Type "J" ATF and what was originally installed at the factory. I don't know if it's any better than the Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF, but both seem to work very well in the RE5R05A transmission, as do most ATF's that are also JASO-A1 certified. I have over 450,000 combined miles on Maxlife between two, R51 Pathfinders and they both still shift like new. Both are full-synthetic. When buying in 1-gallon jugs at Walmart, Maxlife is definitely the better by at around $17/gallon right now. I also use it in my AUTO mode transfer case, power steering and in my 03 Frontier's transmission.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”