Greetings from Illinois

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

mball19

Greetings from Illinois

Postby mball19 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm

I live in southern Illinois, near St. Louis. I bought a grey 2012 SV 4x4 with 149,000 miles on it in the beginning of December. I've put almost 3500 miles on it since. I'm using it to drive in the snow, haul the family, and tow our 18" boat. I've changed most of the fluids in it because I don't know when/if they were done.
1. I noticed about a month ago that it started making a tapping/clicking noise at cold start up. I can't hear it after I drive for a few minutes. Is this a common issue with the VQ40DE? I hope its not the timing chain guides starting to fail
2. The rear AC sometimes makes a clunking noise when its changed from cool to heat. I'm going to remove the trim panel and try to find the problem
3. I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage. I've averaged about 17.5 mpg with more highway than city driving.

Overall, I think its a great truck. The issues are all minor at this point. I'm encouraged by the other high mileage Pathfinders I've seen of this vintage.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Illinois

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm

mball19 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm
I live in southern Illinois, near St. Louis. I bought a grey 2012 SV 4x4 with 149,000 miles on it in the beginning of December. I've put almost 3500 miles on it since. I'm using it to drive in the snow, haul the family, and tow our 18" boat. I've changed most of the fluids in it because I don't know when/if they were done.
1. I noticed about a month ago that it started making a tapping/clicking noise at cold start up. I can't hear it after I drive for a few minutes. Is this a common issue with the VQ40DE? I hope its not the timing chain guides starting to fail
2. The rear AC sometimes makes a clunking noise when its changed from cool to heat. I'm going to remove the trim panel and try to find the problem
3. I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage. I've averaged about 17.5 mpg with more highway than city driving.

Overall, I think its a great truck. The issues are all minor at this point. I'm encouraged by the other high mileage Pathfinders I've seen of this vintage.
Welcome to TheNissanPath! Your new home away from home! :D
Smart to change all fluids like you did just in case

1) Our engines generally run a bit rougher and I noticed a clicking tapping on my VQ40 before myself.
W/o hearing yours however I cannot say for certain its "normal" but as I said our engines generally run a bit noisier than others IMO.
As for timing chain guides I can say that your model year is 100% in the clear with those.
With 150,000 miles you are starting to be higher milage range even for these engines.
3) Sounds in line with EPA estimates. The most i ever got with pure hiway driving was 21-22 mpg in town 14 mpg so the avg of that is about 17.5.

It IS a large 4x4 vehicle powered by a relatively large engine.
:)

mball19

Postby mball19 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:33 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm
mball19 wrote:

1) Our engines generally run a bit rougher and I noticed a clicking tapping on my VQ40 before myself.
W/o hearing yours however I cannot say for certain its "normal" but as I said our engines generally run a bit noisier than others IMO.
As for timing chain guides I can say that your model year is 100% in the clear with those.
With 150,000 miles you are starting to be higher milage range even for these engines.
3) Sounds in line with EPA estimates. The most i ever got with pure hiway driving was 21-22 mpg in town 14 mpg so the avg of that is about 17.5.

Thanks for the reply. That is true about it being a big SUV. It is great in the snow. I tried to get it stuck a couple weeks ago and I was unsuccessful. I just ordered some Bilsteins to replace the OEM struts/shocks. I'm looking forward to feeling the difference.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 pm

mball19 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:33 am
palmerwmd wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:03 pm
mball19 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That is true about it being a big SUV. It is great in the snow. I tried to get it stuck a couple weeks ago and I was unsuccessful. I just ordered some Bilsteins to replace the OEM struts/shocks. I'm looking forward to feeling the difference.
At 150000 miles you will definitely feel the difference.
Also check the balljoints and various bushings. Many are sure to need attention.

I just replaced complete suspension on my 2008 and its a joy to drive.
topic20975.html

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”