Advice needed please

Any topics related to 2013+ R52

Moderator: volvite

bend

Advice needed please

Postby bend » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 pm

So my wife has owned an 06 pathfinder for at least 10 years, when we first purchased it I came on here and read about the trans failures with these rigs and I did the radiator bypass to eliminate that problem. Now it has come time to look into replacing her pathfinder, it runs like a top, doesnt leak a drop of anything but its starting to rust here and there and it seems like every year just before its time for state inspection it will throw a CEL. This year its the good old po430 code that I'm not so willing to dump the money for new cats to fix. So we are looking into newer ( 2018-2020) pathfinder for her, I went to the used car lot that she purchased her last one from and asked the salesman if they had and pathfinder on the lot and without a seconds delay he said NO. When I asked him if they were that good of a seller he replied they don't take them in because of the S.O.S. problems with the radiators and transmissions failing. I 'm not an automotive expert at all but I assumed nissan would have fixed this problem way back and especially with the CVT trannys these thing have these days. So I came here to ask the people who know the truth. I know my parents ( in their 80's) have a roque with the cvt so it doesnt see any abuse and they love it, my wife doesnt really beat on her cars much ( other than full throttle take offs and driving up to a stop sign at full speed only to slam the brakes on to bring the car to a stop lol) but we want something thats going to last. So tell me folks, is the guy at the dealership blow smoke from his arse or is there so truth to his words? The wife loves her pathfinder and really wants another so should we proceed of look at something else?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
Ben D

Grumpah

Re: Advice needed please

Postby Grumpah » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 pm

First of all, I wouldn't take much stock in a used car dealer who handles years and brands all over the spectrum. How much can he know about any one particular brand or model unless they specialize in Nissan? Truth be told, the Pathfinder CVT has improved measurably ever since the 2017 model year. They did a platform refresh that year and there have been far fewer, if any complaints about the transmission.

That said, the current platform Pathfinder is a far cry from the '06 Pathfinder you know. It is a crossover platform, which means it's much more car-like and doesn't have the off-road ruggedness of the previous generation. If your wife is okay with that, you can't find a better bang for the buck than the newer Pathfinders. Quality-wise, the Highlander or Pilot probably has the Pathfinder beat, but they cost thousands more for the same features. I'd look at all three and then decide.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 am

I'd like to point out that the current generation Pathfinder has excellent quality scores from consumer reports.
Of course the 2017s and later have the improved transmission as well.

I am a car guy through and through and considered the recent generation Pathfinder as well, before I found nd older V8 model I liked.

Used Car dealers as Grumpah pointed out are human and prone to misconceptions "learning-by-anecdote" like everyone else.

bend

Postby bend » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:51 am

thanks grumpa, I don't take much stock in any used car dealer, this was just the salesman that I talked with, the owner is the one making the decision, but I was confused with that decision as it just didn't make any sense to me .
When I made this post yesterday I had not done any research on these newer Pathfinders although I do realize the are crossovers, my wife on the other hand is sold on the nissan name and the pathfinder model, but I think I'm beginning to open her eyes to other brands now after a little research. When we have time we're going to hit a few dealerships and check out whats out there and see what everyone has to offer. Thanks for your reply as you summed up my thoughts on the pathfinder.

Thanks again

Ben

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 pm

Show these to your wife :)

nice vid on R52 (2017) Pathy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGmPM_MDJE

And Check out the pics of a Pathy in the desert in this thread
topic17450-15.html

Also 2017 model year and up has a strengthened transmission to support the raised power and the increased tow rating.
I very nearly bought one of those 2017s its just when I found a super rare V8 Pathfinder I couldnt say no to it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:27 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 am
I'd like to point out that the current generation Pathfinder has excellent quality scores from consumer reports.
Of course the 2017s and later have the improved transmission as well.
Since when?? I just got the April '21 Consumer Reports and they gave the current model an overall score of 54 with poor reliability ranking and worst satisfaction rating. In its class, they rank it # 11 out of 13, ranking only above the Dodge Durango 3.6L and the Ford Explorer 2.3T. Best in its class is the Kia Telluride, Hyundai Palisade and Toyota Highlander.

In the "Worst Used Cars" listings, it includes the '13-'15 and '17 Pathfinder. In the "Reliability" section, the '17 Pathfinders has the worst ratings in the following categories: engine cooling, transmission (minor), climate system, brakes, noises/leaks, body hardware, power equipment and in-car electronics.

Let's hope they do better in the next generation Pathy!

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:47 am

My sister and brother-in-law owns one of these, not sure what year. But when I told them I was looking for a Pathfinder, they adamantly insisted to avoid the Pathfinder since their R52 has been in the shop three times for transmission problems already. Also, a few other things, but not as bad as the CVT issue. They swear they will never buy another Nissan again after this debacle of a purchase. They sold their reliable FJ Cruiser to get this heap of junk. I told them I was aware of the R52 and I was looking at R51s.

Fixing the cats on the R51 is cheaper than buying another car. I'd go that route and make it last for another 2-3 years and wait for a used R53 is my vote.

bend

Postby bend » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I think we are steering away from the pathfinder after what I've read here and searching the internet. She really loves her 06 and yes the cats are cheaper to replace than buying another car, but that doesn't slow the rust any. We have discussed fixing the cats and just running it as KBB gives it 1500 to 2000 trade in value. We went car shopping just to see what she may like and she thinks 99% of the new cars are ugly with a few exceptions, the telluride and a chevy tahoe. I managed to talk her out of the taco, I have always owned chevys but after buying my 09 silverado I will never own another chevy, rear main seal has leaked since it was a year old tranfer case rear output was shortly behind the rear main and I'm not going to mention the rust. We did stop at the local chevy/gm dealer and she really liked the GM acaidia on the showroom floor, but as I walked around it I noticed paint was applied so think it had drips on the bottom of the rear gate and a few other things I wasn't impressed with, if gm screws up little thing like the paint I can only imagine what kind of quality is lacking in the engine and driveline. I get under her 06 pathy with 177k and EVERYTHING is bone dry, I just cant deal with the rust. We are hitting the road tomorrow to see what's out there, hopefully get her to drive something and start from there knowing it won't be a chevy or pathfinder.

Thanks again to all those who replied and saved me many years of nightmares.

Ben

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:00 pm

:(

In an R52 Pathy you will be able to afford a younger+ lower mile vehicle than with many other choices that offer similar room and features.

I very nearly bought one myself and human being tends ot over react to certain risk.
A 5% lower reliability might lower a given books value by 20% enabling the buyer to get a newer vehicle which may result in actually higher reliability than alternatives.

Anyhow thats a way to look at it I think. :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 am

bend wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Thanks for all the replies, I think we are steering away from the pathfinder after what I've read here and searching the internet. She really loves her 06 and yes the cats are cheaper to replace than buying another car, but that doesn't slow the rust any. We have discussed fixing the cats and just running it as KBB gives it 1500 to 2000 trade in value. We went car shopping just to see what she may like and she thinks 99% of the new cars are ugly with a few exceptions, the telluride and a chevy tahoe. I managed to talk her out of the taco, I have always owned chevys but after buying my 09 silverado I will never own another chevy, rear main seal has leaked since it was a year old tranfer case rear output was shortly behind the rear main and I'm not going to mention the rust. We did stop at the local chevy/gm dealer and she really liked the GM acaidia on the showroom floor, but as I walked around it I noticed paint was applied so think it had drips on the bottom of the rear gate and a few other things I wasn't impressed with, if gm screws up little thing like the paint I can only imagine what kind of quality is lacking in the engine and driveline. I get under her 06 pathy with 177k and EVERYTHING is bone dry, I just cant deal with the rust. We are hitting the road tomorrow to see what's out there, hopefully get her to drive something and start from there knowing it won't be a chevy or pathfinder.

Thanks again to all those who replied and saved me many years of nightmares.

Ben
If I was buying a new SUV and was able to afford it, I would go with the Telluride. Consumer Reports rates it tops in the category and every review I've seen has been positive. They also have a long warranty.

bend

Postby bend » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:31 am

Well guys our pathfinder is gone, I was on the fence about purchasing a Kia for some reason but we bought one. About 10 tears ago I helped my single parent daughter by a Kia sophia (I think), the car had a lot of miles but it was within her price range. She drove that thing day and night and added a crap load of trouble free mile to it. Two other family members have Kia cars and they both love them and continue to rack the mileage up on them. We did look at the Telluride but there are none available around here used (we simply can't afford a new one) so we looked around and I got the wife to drive an '18 Sorento SX with 32k on it. She fell in love with it but it was red in color and she really wanted white (her Pathfinder was Black). A little more shopping around turned up an other '18 Sorento in pearl white with the same mileage 32K but this one was an SXL with even more options but 1k more. The first dealership was going to give us 1k for her Pathfinder but the second one said they would do 2k for it. So we took it, she said she would miss her Pathfinder but I knew that wouldn't last long and it didn't, The Sorento being what it is rides so much better with all kinds of options her Pathfinder didn't have. I am really grateful for all for assistance and opinions I have received from this site over the years and came back to just say Thanks to all of you.

Thanks again
Ben

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:57 am

Ben,

thank you for stopping by and selling hello.
Wishing the ver best with your new vehicle! 8)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Best wishes and thanks for coming back for the updates. Kia/Hyundai has come a long way since the 90s and early 2000s. I sold my problem-free 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo two years ago to buy my wife her 2015 Toyota Sienna and I still miss that Veloster. Other than their crappy resale value, they're great cars and I would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai or Kia in the future.

Return to “R52 General Chat”