Help : 06 Pathfinder stuck in Drive

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Help : 06 Pathfinder stuck in Drive

Postby blink32 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 am

2006 Pathy, 106k+ miles, stuck in Drive.

I will post as much info as I can but I’m stuck at work with only sporadic access to my phone. No other internet access available.

Gear selector, brake interlock, all that works as expected. Dash display shows D only. It drove 20 miles to work fine but when I stopped to reverse in at work that’s when I found that, although the gear selector moves, the transmission did not change gears. Of course now I cannot restart my vehicle either. Hoping I can find a way to temp fix or jerry-rig it just to get it home later today without a tow.

Just looking for ideas that I can research when I can get back to my phone. Hopefully just a linkage has popped off somewhere but I don’t have access to my copy of the FSM right now. And the searches I do run are coming up pretty generic. I’m not asking you to fix it for me but if anyone happens to find a link to info please post it here and I’ll read it. For now I have removed the lower part of the center console and my cursory inspection showed nothing amiss but it was 3am with only the overhead lights so I need to wait for daylight later to reinspect.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or directions.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Help : 06 Pathfinder stuck in Drive

Postby blink32 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 am

Well atleast I’m no longer stuck. I’ll post pics later but the cable linkage with an eyelet on the end had come off the gear selector. Apparently this is a common issue in frontiers, some grommet breaks. So for now I’ll be manually pulling this cable when it’s time to go home later and then I’ll dig into what actually failed and getting the replacement.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 am

Looks like this is the part to fix this issue. https://www.bushingfix.com/ni1kit/

Bushing at the end of the shifter cable must have worn out and fallen apart which let it fall off. For now I’ve got a screwdriver stuck through the hole with a little duct tape holding it all in place.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

Neat kit! First time I've seen it..

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”