Gear Shift Sticks

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

padgett

Gear Shift Sticks

Postby padgett » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:40 am

So my gear shift has been not wanting to move out of park. If sort of feels like something is catching and not letting the button fully compress to allow me to shift. It will go a few days working with no issues' then I will give me fits about 5-6 times in a row then work good for a while. My first guess is to replace the shifter, but having not done that before I wanted to see what ideas/suggestions you all had first.

lebowski

Re: Gear Shift Sticks

Postby lebowski » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 pm

check this thread: topic21015.html

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Gear Shift Sticks

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:56 am

I had a similar issue on my 2008. It turned out to be the micro-switch in the shifter assembly. When you move the shifter into "PARK," it pushed a little lever on the switch which allows the shift interlock to receive voltage and release with the brake pedal released. I had to remove the switch and bend the metal lever a little bit to get it to work correctly. Unfortunately, the switch only comes as part of the shifter assembly, but it's been working fine for the past 4-5 years.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”