Steering Wheel Removal

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

NWPathfinder

Steering Wheel Removal

Postby NWPathfinder » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Help!

I watched all the youtube videos and did a bit of reading but try as I might I can't get the airbag out of the steering wheel. I have a new volume control/Cruise switch to install but, as much as i press on that little ring thing my Air bag does not detach. When I press on that little tab you can see the airbag get drawn in but nothing else happens. Thoughts, Suggestions? I've tried a blade screwdriver a robertson screwdriver, A blunt piece of steel and nothing gets me further.
Any help greatly appreciated.
I found this one the most helpful but it doesn't help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDv-IYVPP0

NWPathfinder

Re: Steering Wheel Removal

Postby NWPathfinder » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Ok nevermind, I found a picture over on the clubfrontier site that explained A LOT! So I got the new switch in and guess what same issue! Now I'm pissed $220 out of my jeans and same f'ing problem!

No Volume up, No mode switch and no "up motion" from lower switch. Any thoughts??? gotta be a broken wire somewhere then? Or is it possible a fuse???

EDIT: this video is Particularly helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4GJRjpsCs

I really thought it was some sort of contact ring issue. I didn't realize the clockspring was this device. Now I wished I had purchased this first. GRRRR.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Steering Wheel Removal

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:18 am

Yeah, clockspring failures are pretty common on the R51/D40/WD40, unfortunately.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”