ClockSpring Adventure

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

NWPathfinder

ClockSpring Adventure

Postby NWPathfinder » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Hey All,

I know it's been documented elsewhere but, I wanted to add this here. If it's not the right place, Mods, please delete this topic.

I just wanted to say that I struggled for a good 30 min and almost gave up because I couldn't figure out how to get the Airbag off. I did not realize you had to push up on the bar visible through the hole on the bottom. I was trying to push it one way or the other. Once I figured that out the rest was pretty simple.

Again watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4GJRjpsCs helped a tonne! Watch it beginning to end and then book mark it when you go to do yours.

The only part that, the video does not address is the SAS(Steering angle Sensor) on the back of your clock spring. I was very happy to realize that I could just simply unscrew the one from my old clock spring and put it on the new one, lining it up with the little tabs inside. Put it all back together and no codes. Phew. Didn't even need to calibrate for the Airbag.

Here are some pics I took along the way.

Steering Wheel Removed Clock Spring exposed.

I recommend disconnecting those Connectors before you remove the Clockspring from the steering wheel. It's MUCH easier!!

Lower Connectors

Upper Connector

Signal and wiper stocks unclipped from the ClockSpring

Old Vs New

Steering Angle Sensor

Steering Angle Sensor Tabs in the Clockspring.

Anyways, I hope this helps others down the road.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: ClockSpring Adventure

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Great write up! :!:
Promoted to sticky! :D

donaldpath

Re: ClockSpring Adventure

Postby donaldpath » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:16 am

I think I might need to do this for a blinking airbang light (Code 12 = LH/Driver airbag module).
Where did you source your clock spring from?

Return to “R51 Electrical”