2022 Frontier = R51 Improvements?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

2022 Frontier = R51 Improvements?

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm reading as much information as possible on the changes to the 2022 Frontier.

It appears from the initial takeways, there is significant improvement in two areas:

Steering feel
body mount improvement

For steering, it appears there is an extra pulley to assist the steering, so it looks like it might be revamped quite a bit from the previous generations. I'm going to pay attention to this, as it's one of the items that really depresses me about my R51 - steering seems to be a real weakness.

For body mounts, it appears there are new hydraulic versions that improve the ride component immensely.
I can't help but feel that these mounts are going to be direct swap replacements to the previous Frontier and possibly the R51 frames?

Apart from this, there are the obvious interior improvements, however, I don't feel there is an overall large gap between what one could find technology wise, in an aftermarket radio and camera setup.

I'm really loving the new Zero Gravity seats.
I spoke to someone who has these seats in another Nissan (Rogue/Murano?), and they stated they are wonderful. Can't help to feel that these seat will be direct swaps into the R51, expect there will be more safety equipment that will inhibit the swap out.

I'll be honest with it - I like the refreshed design on the Frontier. It would be interesting if there was a plan to make a Frontier Pathfinder version in the future. I mean - Nissan already have the draft of how to make this work on the shelf somewhere... :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Frontier = R51 Improvements?

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:47 am

Since they both use the F-Alpha platform, it may be possible that the mounts will interchange and possible the seats, as well. As far as the next gen Pathfinder, it looks much improved over the R52 but is still using a unibody chassis and a transverse mounted engine. And taking into consideration how long it takes Nissan to update their truck models, it will probably be with us for a long while!

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 pm

I find it fascinating how committed Nissan is to this frame. Lucky for us.

Now...where's the diesel Nissan? Maybe we will have to wait until the next redesign in 2030 ( and that's no joke) :roll: .

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:45 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 pm
1) I find it fascinating how committed Nissan is to this frame. Lucky for us.

2) Now...where's the diesel Nissan? Maybe we will have to wait until the next redesign in 2030 ( and that's no joke) :roll: .
1) absoltely!
Also love the ideas in this thread on seats!

2) True.. they did have a protoype with a 2.8L diesel in a Frontier before so we know that engine would fit us.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”