Front cabin & centre cabin light switches in centre position, but no lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

SoloVoyager

Front cabin & centre cabin light switches in centre position, but no lights

Postby SoloVoyager » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:08 am

I'm wondering what the problem is. Those lights don't come on when I open the doors, however the tailgate light does illuminate, and it too is in the central position.

Anyone know what's going on? (I've tried those switches in the On-position, and they illuminate, so I'm thinking it can't be the bulbs -- or can it be?)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Front cabin & centre cabin light switches in centre position, but no lights

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 pm

It wouldn't be the bulbs, but it could be the switch control in the lamp. You might try removing the dome lamps and spraying the contacts with some electrical contact cleaner. You could also component check it with a continuity tester. Otherwise, the room lamps are controlled by the BCM with inputs from the door switches.

SoloVoyager

Postby SoloVoyager » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:37 am

Thanks, smj, I'll try the contact cleaning as a first thing, as I don't have a clue how to do a continuity test.

SV

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 am

You'll need an ohmmeter or a continuity tester (most will have one or both of these on a multimeter). One wire attaches to one pin on the circuit and the other wire attaches to the other pin on the circuit. As the switch is moved on to off or vice versa, the continuity tester should signal if there is continuity or not...or, the ohmmeter would show an open circuit or closed circuit, depending on the switch position.

Return to “R51 Electrical”