Auxiliary rear hatch lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Wahooo

Auxiliary rear hatch lights

Postby Wahooo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:16 pm

Had anybody seen or done an auxiliary light install in the rear hatch? I was thinking something with a switch to turn on a pair of led lights installed in the rear hatch near the bottom. Something bright enough for camping or ???

Maybe something like the rock lights at harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-u ... 57205.html

Trout

Re: Auxiliary rear hatch lights

Postby Trout » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:47 am

I added a couple of "Penny" LED Lights to the rear hatch.
penny light.JPG
I hooked them up directly (no switch) to the hatch light so when I open the rear hatch they light up. This works great and gives lots of light to the back hatch area. I also changed out all the interior lights to LED so there is tons of light.
To connect the lights all I did was use a trim tool to pull back the headliner and trim and fish the wire through the grommet that connects the wiring from the truck to the hatch. I popped off the rear hatch interior plastic and drilled the holes for the lights and wired them up. Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing this...if the wiring hits any ground you'll pop the fuse..

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:34 pm

Trout wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:47 am
I added a couple of "Penny" LED Lights to the rear hatch.
penny light.JPG
I hooked them up directly (no switch) to the hatch light so when I open the rear hatch they light up. This works great and gives lots of light to the back hatch area. I also changed out all the interior lights to LED so there is tons of light.
To connect the lights all I did was use a trim tool to pull back the headliner and trim and fish the wire through the grommet that connects the wiring from the truck to the hatch. I popped off the rear hatch interior plastic and drilled the holes for the lights and wired them up. Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing this...if the wiring hits any ground you'll pop the fuse..
Great first post! :)

Welcome to TheNissanPath! :D

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:51 pm

Ahh. Princess Auto here I come!

I'm going to try this out myself. Thanks for the idea!

Wahooo

Postby Wahooo » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:16 pm

20220414_190026~2.jpg
20220414_190102~2.jpg
Harbor Freight rock lights installed in hatch.
Wired into the 12V lighter plug and installed switch next to it.

FYI the 20A fuse for the outlets is located under the hood on the passenger side. Don't ask :wink:

Return to “R51 Electrical”