R51 Pathfinder Heavy Steering

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Bohman731

R51 Pathfinder Heavy Steering

Postby Bohman731 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:45 am

Hey guys, hoping to find some help. My 07 pathfinder steering is extremely heavy, especially at low speeds. Fluid is topped off and the power steering pressure sensor is also new. The pump hasnt made any noise but I'm wondering if its gone bad. Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: R51 Pathfinder Heavy Steering

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:40 pm

The R51 (i.e. your generation) Pathfinder does not have a light steering but neither is it unduly heavy.
If you feel its unduly heavy something is likely wrong.
(Or are you new to the vehicle coming from a very light steering car?)

Also welcome to thenissanpath! :D

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Just an idea.

Go and test drive a 2019 or older Frontier at the dealership.
It shares the same rack and front end, control arms, everything to our Pathfinder. You will get the feeling on how the Pathfinder might have felt when it was new.

If there is significant difference then, something's up.

Also, the type of tires you have can also contribute to some drag.

**Don't test drive the 2022 Frontier.** Nissan has added something to the steering for better response.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:12 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:04 pm
Just an idea.

Go and test drive a 2019 or older Frontier at the dealership.
It shares the same rack and front end, control arms, everything to our Pathfinder. You will get the feeling on how the Pathfinder might have felt when it was new.

If there is significant difference then, something's up.

Also, the type of tires you have can also contribute to some drag.

**Don't test drive the 2022 Frontier.** Nissan has added something to the steering for better response.
An excellent idea!
A 2020 should be same also since it looks same platform, but some minor changes were made to the front end for 2020 (even tho its still the same gen), as well, so like TooMuch said 2019 or slightly older is your best bet.

Bohman731

Postby Bohman731 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am

Thanks for the welcome! Something is definitely wrong, when you are at a dead stop it takes quite a bit of muscle to turn the wheel. When i'm driving around its not super noticeable but in a parking lot it feels like there is almost no power steering. Its not jumpy and it doesnt feel like anything is binding up. I can go to full lock in both directions and nothing feels inconsistent. There hasnt been any pump noise and with the vehicle running I can see the powersteering fluid spinning in the reservoir so it seems the pump is at least functioning at some capacity. I got new tires earlier in the year and went one size up from the stock size. The new tires are not a super aggressive off road tread either. Its on stock suspension as well.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Just an idea.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not.

To eliminate the pump, move the steering by hand.

For me, if you have the means to lift the front of the truck safely on stands, take the wheels off, and pivot the steering by hand. If the rack is binding you will know it. It will be very very hard to move. If there is a ball joint that is seized and prevents the pivot, you should hear grinding. Check for blown ball joint grease or boots as well. It would make it hard to move.

If it is hard to move, then take it to the mechanic and have them check. You could have anything from a worn rack, ball joints, or tie rod. The pump can not overcome the restriction.

The steering should be able to move by using arm strength. If you need to throw your body into it, I would say it's binding.

If everything moves smoothly and quietly, then I can only think it's the pump.

You didn't state that you had charging issues (can't be the tensioner or belt)
You don't have a leak from the system.
This is where I would go with it.

Bohman731

Postby Bohman731 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:49 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:36 pm
Just an idea.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not.

To eliminate the pump, move the steering by hand.

For me, if you have the means to lift the front of the truck safely on stands, take the wheels off, and pivot the steering by hand. If the rack is binding you will know it. It will be very very hard to move. If there is a ball joint that is seized and prevents the pivot, you should hear grinding. Check for blown ball joint grease or boots as well. It would make it hard to move.

If it is hard to move, then take it to the mechanic and have them check. You could have anything from a worn rack, ball joints, or tie rod. The pump can not overcome the restriction.

The steering should be able to move by using arm strength. If you need to throw your body into it, I would say it's binding.

If everything moves smoothly and quietly, then I can only think it's the pump.

You didn't state that you had charging issues (can't be the tensioner or belt)
You don't have a leak from the system.
This is where I would go with it.
This is a great place for me to start, thank you! I'll lift the truck up this weekend and poke around a bit and report back.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”