Cerakote / Griot's Garage headlight restoration kit

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Cerakote / Griot's Garage headlight restoration kit

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:27 pm

Just thought I'd post about this. My truck has mostly lived inside since I bought it in 2009, so it was pretty easy to keep the headlamps cloud-free. I just hit them every now and then with my 3" orbital polisher and called it a day. Then last year as my motorcycle, surfboards, and bicycles took over my garage it started living outside. Now it clouds pretty quickly, especially with the OEM coating looooong gone.

I put Cerakote on last night and was super happy with the results. One caveat...I bought two kits about a year ago, and when I got to the last step (the ceramic wipes), they were both dried out. Apparently that's a thing. Luckily, the Griot's Garage kit includes Cerakote's final wipes so I was able to make up for it with a local purchase while my truck waited at home with sanded headlights.

While I've got the truck inside I'm refreshing the fancy ceramic coat on the paint as well. Gotta do what I can to make sure the truck fulfills its lifetime contract!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Cerakote / Griot's Garage headlight restoration kit

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Mine are just starting to cloud a bit again.
I cant believe those folks who drive around with totally clouded headlights.
Especially if its otherwise a nice vehicle.
but even if it isn't one still has to see.

Trout

Postby Trout » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi
I've used the len's cleaning kits and the outside is fine. My issue is that there is clouding on the inside of the headlamp assembly and I haven't seen anything in the forums about taking the assemblies apart to clean/buff those even if that's possible. I know they are supposed to be sealed units and replacements can be expensive but I thought maybe someone has a hack to pop them open.....
Any thoughts?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm

Trout wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:32 pm
Hi
I've used the len's cleaning kits and the outside is fine. My issue is that there is clouding on the inside of the headlamp assembly and I haven't seen anything in the forums about taking the assemblies apart to clean/buff those even if that's possible. I know they are supposed to be sealed units and replacements can be expensive but I thought maybe someone has a hack to pop them open.....
Any thoughts?
Good question!
Just yesterday I noticed the exact same thing.
I hope its just fogging but I also think its a haze.
Hopeful someone has some thoughts here.

Otherwise, I will have to investigate this with my detailer.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:41 am

You can take them apart. They are sealed with butyl rubber, so you will have to use your oven to both open and reassemble them. Youtube has a lot of good videos...you can search the forums including this one for the folks who have opened up their headlights to tint them, change colors, convert to projectors, etc.

I have some Morimoto butyl rubber for this kind of thing. I've never opened these headlights, but from experience I do reseal the fog lights when replacing the whole assembly. I get generic ones off Amazon but occasionally one of them will be poorly sealed from the factory.

Trout

Postby Trout » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Great thanks for the tip! Off to Youtube I go..

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm

Nice, I've tried Turtle Wax, 3M, and Meguiars before. They all unfortunately last about a yr + or - some months out here in the desert. I'm better off replacing the headlight assemblies and use like 303 Aerospace once in a while to keep it looking new as long as possible.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:57 am

silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm
Nice, I've tried Turtle Wax, 3M, and Meguiars before. They all unfortunately last about a yr + or - some months out here in the desert. I'm better off replacing the headlight assemblies and use like 303 Aerospace once in a while to keep it looking new as long as possible.
I've used those in the past. Particularly for the desert, you should give this a shot. It's a real solution and not a temp fix. Their plastic trim protector wipes are similar. Unlike some other ceramic products I'm using now, Cerakote leaves a thick ceramic shell vs a thin layer like wax or something. It's not just UV resistant but tougher than the underlying polycarbonate and hydrophobic too. My truck sits at the beach a lot for surfing and sun, sand, and water aren't breaking it down!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:20 pm

ShipFixer wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:57 am
silverarrow27 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm
I've used those in the past. Particularly for the desert, you should give this a shot. It's a real solution and not a temp fix. Their plastic trim protector wipes are similar. Unlike some other ceramic products I'm using now, Cerakote leaves a thick ceramic shell vs a thin layer like wax or something. It's not just UV resistant but tougher than the underlying polycarbonate and hydrophobic too. My truck sits at the beach a lot for surfing and sun, sand, and water aren't breaking it down!
I am about to have new headlights put on.
So which product exactly are you recommending for a new headlight assembly?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:57 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:20 pm
I am about to have new headlights put on.
So which product exactly are you recommending for a new headlight assembly?
The Cerakote kit is the ultimate long term fix. Minimum though, I did put Gtechniq G5 on my parents' much newer vehicles that are always inside. Its also ceramic and a lot quicker to put on. I like both of things more than the stuff we had available in the past, like the petroleum based "sealers" and whatnot.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:19 pm

I'll go the route palmerwmd is, new headlights with Cerakote.

Cerakote Performance Clears - Air & Oven Cure or is it just the Headlight Kit - AH-CHLKIT00?

I'm guessing Performance Clears for new headlights and Headlight Kit for old headlights that needs a shine?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:26 am

Just the headlight kit. The sprays and whatnot are for shops that do speciality paint and coatings. If you have your own booth and whatnot I guess it would work (I found some pictures on Google of different auto plastic parts with clear on them) but the headlight kit is super easy.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:54 pm

I like that Cerakote advertises their headlight kit to last as long as your ownership of the vehicle. I guess time will tell!

Let me print their warranty and screen shot of the page for proof.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

I wonder if I should move this thread into "general Automotive" since it applies to all Pathfinders not just the R51... :)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:31 am

I would leave this here since anyone looking for headlight restoration would probably do a search on the forum anyway and this thread should pop up as a result.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”