Clock spring replacement correct part questions

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

surffx

Clock spring replacement correct part questions

Postby surffx » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:56 am

The clock spring in my 2008 Pathfinder V8 5.6 LE needs to be replaced. Horn is not working and cruise control buttons not working. I ordered the part from "parts geek" but not sure if I have the right thing. It looks very close but I have questions. The first thing I found out is that the one I ordered did not come with the steering angle sensor. Also, on the lower backside of the old unit I have three sockets for connections. The new one I bought only has one socket. Here are my questions. 1 Is it okay to move the steering wheel sensor to the part I bought? 2 what about the other two sockets? 3. One the new part in the middle socket on the right hand side it has six pins. The old one only has three pins. Is that okay? Thanks. I have included a couple of pictures of both parts.
Attachments
20211226_130610.jpg
20211226_130639.jpg

VStar650CL

Re: Clock spring replacement correct part questions

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:41 am

surffx wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:56 am
Here are my questions. 1 Is it okay to move the steering wheel sensor to the part I bought? 2 what about the other two sockets? 3. One the new part in the middle socket on the right hand side it has six pins. The old one only has three pins. Is that okay?
1) Yes. The Nissan version comes with the SAS, but most aftermarket parts don't. You'll need to run an SAS calibration after you complete the work.
2) Many aftermarket SAS's are designed to work in more than one application. So long as one of the connectors is an exact fit for the connector shell in your truck, chances are it will work fine. I'd check all extra buttons on the steering wheel (if any) before assembly using a temporary hookup, to make sure they all work.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm

Left "missing" : I think that's for the heated steering wheel (2 pin) power.
The pin on the left are wider and bigger, and they accept the different gauge wiring.

Right "missing" : looks like you remove the connector off old one ,with the steering angle sensor, and attach to new spiral backplate.

I think you have a heating steering wheel on your old truck, based on the three black cables from the front. Two for air bag, a third one for heated steering.

I've never opened up one of these, and it's possible that the heated "spiral" attaches separately to the main one, inside of the unit. The newer one has that mysterious plug on the top, compared to the old one. It might hint that there are internal wires ready, and you may have to transfer the back connector over to the new one only.

When I look closer - also - where is the orange connector on the top (two wires for yellow and two for orange connector). I only see the one pair and the yellow. You might have to transfer that one over as well.

This does not look plug and play - 100% certain of it if this is what you were hoping.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:26 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm
Right "missing" : looks like you remove the connector off old one ,with the steering angle sensor, and attach to new spiral backplate.
That's correct, on those Bosch SAS's the connector is part of the SAS and not the spiral. It usually detaches with a screw.

surffx

Postby surffx » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Okay, great. Thank you for the replies, they did help. I purchased one with two airbag wires (the one I had bought only had one airbag wire). I will forfeit the heated steering and swap the SAS over to the new part. Again, thanks for the help.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”