2006 PF LE Engine Swap - Am I Crazy?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nicksorgio4

2006 PF LE Engine Swap - Am I Crazy?

Postby nicksorgio4 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Hey guys. New to the forum but not to Pathfinders. I have a 2006 LE with 237K on the odometer. I'm the second owner and it was my wife's main rider for years before being relegated to an extra car. We spent a lot of time driving our kids to ice hockey rinks up and down the northeast. It never really needed much over the years as far as major mechanical work - just normal brake work, tires, and cheap cats I threw in. For a New England car, it's pretty solid with some rust inside the rear passenger door (and now a creased quarter recently added by my son).

The engine currently rattles pretty loud and it sounds like the timing chain guides. I've been planning to drive it until it dies, but I keep coming back to this idea that maybe I should swap a used engine in. My reasoning is simple - It's comfortable, drives great, has good power, and nice interior. I've been thinking about replacing it with a similar type of vehicle, but right now, everything used seems really pricey.

Besides an engine, It would need some exhaust work and tires - I could do the work when it warms up a little. All I would need is to borrow a friend's lift and have one of my son's help me. Feedback and suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Nick

silverarrow27

Re: 2006 PF LE Engine Swap - Am I Crazy?

Postby silverarrow27 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 am

I think that's a good idea. The VQs aren't that expensive and since it's an extra vehicle, you and your son(s) can take your time on it.

I would stick to local wreckers and engine importers since it's easier to claim warranty if they happen to give you a dud though. Another idea, you can always take a road trip down south or west and pick up good condition Pathys all day long for under $6k with around the 150k miles mark plus or minus.

The rattling could be from your catalytic converters or cracked manifolds as well. If you're not too sure what the exact issue is, I'd pay a mechanic/shop to diagnose it and then make an informed decision from there.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 am

In todays elevated market for 4x4 SUVs especially it makes sense to keep a vehicle youlike.

Decent used VQ40 engines for your car abound as this engine was shared with 2005-2015 Xterra and even the ubiquitous 2005 -20019 Frontier.
And when u replace engine the labor for some useful refreshes like new motor mounts, belts hoses etc. is basically free.
On the other hand as Silverarrow pointed our it may be something much more minor.
And in any event changing the timing chain guides/tensioners should be a lot less $$ than replacing the engine.
And it simply might be just that.
By letting the rattle go on, you may impose a expense on yourself thats larger than needed.
Even with 237k on the odo if its had regular oil changes and hasnt ingested an unusual amount of dust it may still have quite a bit of life in it, like another 100k or more.

Good sign is no consumption of oil and of course a compression test could be done to estimate the state of the engine.

If you do decide to put in a used lower mile replacement we will be here to assist as well as we can. :)

EDITED for clarity. written in middle of night.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 pm

PS:

I went this route myself twice before.
Once with a 2004 Nissan 350Z and once with an Infiniti Q45.

While your Pathfinder is an 05 so you dont have the longer nose of the 08+ that had been lengthened to accommodate the V8 option, I wonder if a V8 swap isnt still possible for you.
Using the VK56de which can be had for reasonable prices.
BUt you may need the ECU/TCU from the donor car as well.

To my knowledge the 5A transmissions are very nearly the same, they even have the same Nissan internal nomenclature (except the version for the V8 has an extra clutch pack, anyone else who knows different please chime in).

Given how stout the stock V6 transmissions are you may be completely fine leaving the transmission stock even with a V8 swap... just food for thought.

nicksorgio4

Postby nicksorgio4 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:24 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for all the informative replies. Thinking about it more, it does make sense to have that noise looked at for starters. I have a mechanic I use for doing the occasional work on my diesel pickup who said he'll take a look at the Pathfinder and confirm my suspicions about the timing chain noises and go from there. I'll reply back when I have some more information.

Yesterday I told my wife what I was thinking and my reasoning. She commented that after driving it last Friday, she forgot how well it drove and how quick it is. She drives a VW Tiquan with a 4-cyl turbo.

In the meantime I'm putting together a list of things I would do should I keep it, including new tires (possibly going a little bigger).
Nick

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:51 pm

Glad we heard back form you.
So in summary our recommendation is:
- Fix the timing chain guides and tensioners before its too late
- If your engine is still good run it and keep taking care of it.
- If for some reason its too late yes, used engines can be swapped in and that would then be a good solution to hold on to this vehicle.
Comparable vehicles in todays market in form function and capability are many many thousands of dollars.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:45 pm

If I was going in there, I would also replace the oil gallery cover gaskets on the front of the rear timing cover. They have upgraded gasket kits with new bolts available. If the gasket blows out, it causes the oil pressure to drop. It's too bad your not a little closer to where I live in VA. I have an entire 2006 LE parts vehicle I could sell you with good tires, DT headers and mid-pipes and a good running engine, transmission and auto mode transfer case. I had a tree fall on the roof of mine. :cry:

nicksorgio4

Postby nicksorgio4 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am

Damn. That sucks about the tree. Years ago I had a 2000 Dodge Durango with the big V8 and a big tree limb landed right across the hood. You've got me thinking about your vehicle. I'll send a PM.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:25 pm

nicksorgio4 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am
Damn. That sucks about the tree. Years ago I had a 2000 Dodge Durango with the big V8 and a big tree limb landed right across the hood. You've got me thinking about your vehicle. I'll send a PM.
Nick,
Please let me know if you have problems sending the PM.
Since your post count is so low, your PMs may not be enabled.
We instituted this as a spammer protection years ago, not sure if its still on.

nicksorgio4

Postby nicksorgio4 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm

yes, looks like it is still enforcing it. PM message is in my outbox. Thanks

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:25 pm

nicksorgio4 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm
yes, looks like it is still enforcing it. PM message is in my outbox. Thanks
The fact you were able to send it, shows its set to "on".
It will sit in Outbox is until he has read it.
I know its a bit counterintuitive but thats how it is :)

nicksorgio4

Postby nicksorgio4 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:38 am

Thanks. Makes sense, and after reading your reply, probably should have thought more about it since I'm an IT guy.
Nick

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:16 pm

Knowledge is power.

I have an 05 and there are a few differences in it, that if I had to do it over again, I would certainly go for a newer 08-12. Something like the auto-locking trunk, and other little things that would make it seem like an upgrade. (I especially love the Russet interior model).

The prices for these things are still very reasonable. In fact, if it's specifically the product you want, then it's a bargain in the aftermarket.

I've seen a couple in the past two years, that had me thinking of upgrading from my '05. My truck still starts strong and doesn't cook oil, so I kept on with it.

At the same time, when you give up on it, you come to the point of moving on to something different altogether. In that case, if you are thinking that if you don't fix it, you will just jump to another brand - I would say - swap in that damn motor!!

The best thing is, in buying another one, you basically know what you are getting into. Every rattle, noise, and vibration - if it doesn't feel right - you'll know it right away to question it.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:46 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:16 pm
Knowledge is power.

I have an 05 and there are a few differences in it, that if I had to do it over again, I would certainly go for a newer 08-12. Something like the auto-locking trunk, and other little things that would make it seem like an upgrade. (I especially love the Russet interior model).

The prices for these things are still very reasonable. In fact, if it's specifically the product you want, then it's a bargain in the aftermarket.

I've seen a couple in the past two years, that had me thinking of upgrading from my '05. My truck still starts strong and doesn't cook oil, so I kept on with it.

At the same time, when you give up on it, you come to the point of moving on to something different altogether. In that case, if you are thinking that if you don't fix it, you will just jump to another brand - I would say - swap in that damn motor!!

The best thing is, in buying another one, you basically know what you are getting into. Every rattle, noise, and vibration - if it doesn't feel right - you'll know it right away to question it.
I'd love to get my hands on a good condition LE with the russet lather also.
I'd even trade in one of my beloved other vehicles for that.

Or maybe I could just have my leather red dyed?

nicksorgio4

Postby nicksorgio4 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:14 am

smj999smj - sent you a PM about your Pathfinder.

Weather here has been terrible, so haven't done anything with mine.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”