SIEMED Fog Lights - I like them

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Neeginan

SIEMED Fog Lights - I like them

Postby Neeginan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:52 am

My vehicle had the original fog lights. After 11 years, the lenses are a bit cloudy from the inside. I came across these and decided to give them a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Retro ... r=8-1&th=1

Very easy to install. Don't even need to remove the wheel. They are very bright and have a very sharp cut off. They are not a driving light, they are a fog light.

I have only had them on for a couple of weeks, so I can't speak about quality yet. On the surface, they appear well built.

Neeginan

Re: SIEMED Fog Lights - I like them

Postby Neeginan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

Trying to add some pics, but I keep getting an error.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:59 pm

Neeginan wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am
Trying to add some pics, but I keep getting an error.
We are still fixing out file server after the big outage a few weeks ago, so everyone even Admins have this issue.. :(

You can always do remote hosting via imgur.
I created a new imgur account (couldnt remember my old one) sorely for the purpose to post pics on TheNissanPath :D

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Neeginan wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:52 am
My vehicle had the original fog lights. After 11 years, the lenses are a bit cloudy from the inside. I came across these and decided to give them a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Retro ... r=8-1&th=1

Very easy to install. Don't even need to remove the wheel. They are very bright and have a very sharp cut off. They are not a driving light, they are a fog light.

I have only had them on for a couple of weeks, so I can't speak about quality yet. On the surface, they appear well built.
So they fit plug and play?
No modifications etc?

This is often one of my concerns when buying aftermarket.
I am quite satisfied with my fogs due to my recent installation of brighter aftermarket halogens but what you write sounds tempting.
Especially the sharp cutoff may mean with a bit of adjustments they might be able tp serve as driving lights to assist our low beams.

What do you think?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm

PS: I forget, where in Florida are you? I am in the panhandle but may go the citrus nissan XTerra off-road drive later this month with my R51. 8)

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 pm

No modifications whatsoever. Completely plug and play. There are three mounting screws per fog light on the Pathfinder. They are a torx bit, can't recall the size. I just turn the steering wheel inwards for whichever side I was working on, removed a few screws holding the fender liner in place, pulled it back gently and there is plenty of space to work to remove the old OEM one and put this one in. Repeat on the other side. There is another connector type in the box, but for our vehicle the connector that came already wired to the fog light was the right one for the Pathfinder. So no need to splice wires and re-connectorize either. True plug and play.

I thought about the driving light idea as well. These have a relatively thin beam. The fog lights are low on the vehicle, so if you try to adjust them upwards to use as driving lights or like a supplemental headlight, it may be difficult to find that balance of being a driving light and not blinding people. Also, I dont' know if they have that much adjustability. I did adjust mine using the light against the garage door to get it where I wanted, but I was adjusting for a fog light so I didn't try to get them to shine too far outwards. May be possible, but the beam is pretty flat and wide.

I am in South Florida. Pretty much at the end of the earth LOL! But where is the Xterra event? Weekend?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:07 pm

Neeginan wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 pm

I am in South Florida. Pretty much at the end of the earth LOL! But where is the Xterra event? Weekend?
Its Citrus Wildlife management Area.
299 E Gulf to Lake Hwy, Lecanto, FL 34461

A night run on the 26th (where those new lights might come in handy, an overnight camping and then daytime.

I havent decided yet if I will bring out my Xterra PRO4X (all stock, AT tires hankook Dynapro ATM, that are 3.5 years old so not the freshest) or my R51 (1-1.5 inch lift, Yokohama Geolandar AT with only 12,000 miles on them.)
Or if I will even come as its a 5 hr drive for me.
but I need to learn to drive offroard better and an easy trail is the place to start.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 am

There are plenty of aftermarket vendors on Amazon who make fog lights for our trucks. Which is good, because they sure do like to catch rocks :-/

Both of mine are cracked and due for replacement...

One OBTW on this though, even when you order from the same vendor a second time, you may get a slightly different looking lamp. For a while I had two different reflector designs until I replaced the other side. Also, many of them are not sealed well from the manufacturer and let water in. I don't pop the lens off in the oven, but I do put a bead of Morimoto butyl lens sealing rubber around them and cook that for a bit. then press it in.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:21 am

ShipFixer wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 am
I don't pop the lens off in the oven, but I do put a bead of Morimoto butyl lens sealing rubber around them and cook that for a bit. then press it in.
Good thinking!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:38 am

I didn't realize what @Neeginan was showing us before. I just got a set, will put them in sometime in the next few days.

Took the opportunity to try the Katana LED headlight bulbs that everyone loves on clubfrontier. My last attempt at LEDs was about five years ago and the LED placement was in the wrong place, so the light was too dispersed. These are in the right place and actually send a beam downrange. Didn't have to re-aim them at all, they were pointed in the same place my halogen was looking. (Last attempt took a lot of adjustment to get them sort of right.)

Still wish they are 5000K instead of 6500K but that's just what the majority of customers want I guess.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:52 am

ShipFixer wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:38 am
I didn't realize what @Neeginan was showing us before. I just got a set, will put them in sometime in the next few days.

Took the opportunity to try the Katana LED headlight bulbs that everyone loves on clubfrontier. My last attempt at LEDs was about five years ago and the LED placement was in the wrong place, so the light was too dispersed. These are in the right place and actually send a beam downrange. Didn't have to re-aim them at all, they were pointed in the same place my halogen was looking. (Last attempt took a lot of adjustment to get them sort of right.)

Still wish they are 5000K instead of 6500K but that's just what the majority of customers want I guess.
Hmm.. I am still not completely satisfied with the light coming out of my headlights with the upgraded Xtremevison 9007 halogens (which claim 100% more light over stock)

On my Xterra I am happy with them and they seem noticably better than run of the mill 9007.
But for some reason on the R51 it seems lessthna on the Xterra even though they are the same bulbs.
especially the highbeams seem unremarkable.
How are your highbeams with that?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:54 am

I had the Xtremevisions as well. It's not possible that they put out twice the light as claimed, but I do like the mix of white (blue filter) light for looks plus yellowish 4300K light for total visibility.

My high beams are really good with the LEDs, that element is also in the right place, unlike previous generation LED bulbs.

I think the stock and stock-ish light fixtures like you and I have just are only so good. I don't think there's much reason why they should be, other headlights have similar construction reflectors and work great. Size-wise, it's not like they are small dishes. That being said, I don't think they're awful. I remember the 2000's style big reflectors as a big jump in light thrown down the road. I watch discussions about my motorcycle's headlights where they were crazy good in 2002 (not many bikes that size have two headlights, let alone another two high beam bulbs), and now people think they're awful because they are comparing them to the LED units on the 8th gen VFR. But I was happy at the time that Honda went to the same design that they were using in cars, and in my later Pathfinder, vs what motorcycles usually had.

I think the projector units from Spyder and Anzo "should be" an upgrade and a few people here have done it and like them. But projectors were all the rage in the 90's and I had them in a previous vehicle (Infiniti J30) and I don't recall them being amazing. I would be very interested in the Morimoto projector housing if I had a 2008+, but not at $900. That's like these SIEMED units, an LED with a projector lens meant for it, which is most of the awesome OEM headlights out there now.

The color difference between the 6500K LEDs and ~5000Kish Xtremevision is enough to where I don't think I "have to" have the LEDs. I am hoping the SIEMED LED plus 6500K Katana headlights are enough high temperature light that I am happier with total volume of light vs light color. Even on my mountain bike night riding lights, lower temperature LEDs are finally getting more popular so you can get far more contrast while whipping through trees in the dark. Sure wish the vehicle consumer market wanted that more than "super blue looking" lights.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Ok you talked me into it I am ordering these bulbs for my Pathfinder.

The Xtremevision satisfy me quite well in my Xterra and while 100% "more" is hyperbole I am satisfied they are noticeably better than stock.
I suppose I could play around with the adjustment on the r51 first but my Pathfinder is actually supposed to be my "high speed interstate vehicle" so good light is even more important to me than on the Xterra, which I invariably operate at slower speed.

The Xterra I usually drive about 70 mph on the interstate. Thats what feels good and "right" to me in that shorter wheel base car.
The Pathfinder seems to want to go around 90mph and I always have to pull in the reins a bit on it; so strong light is arguably more important on the Pathfinder.

wbruner

Postby wbruner » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:21 pm

I changed my headlights and fogs lights to these bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GG ... UTF8&psc=1

Then I added these in the lower bumper and wired them to come on with my hi-beams. It makes all the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-ZH302-Dr ... 7GN9&psc=1

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:19 pm

So many choices now for LEDs. :?:

Return to “R51 Electrical”