Pathfinder in 4Low and manual mode acting like auto mode

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Berto14

Pathfinder in 4Low and manual mode acting like auto mode

Postby Berto14 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm

Hi All,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder R51 2013 2.5l Diesel Auto

In Aug 2021 while on the beach i had my Pathfinder in 4Low and manual mode. The transmission (in manual mode) kept changing up gears at approx 2200-2300 rpm. At the time I figured this was normal and must have been a protection setting (Novice 4wd'er)

In Oct 2021 I did a 2day 4wd course with a professional company in Perth. Using my own vehicle. The first day was in sand and the next in the bush.

The first day was in the sand, I engaged 4wd low and used manual mode. I noticed that the gears would change up automatically at approx 2200-2300 rpm. This would happen while working through soft flat sand and on big inclines.

The second day was in bush terrain.
Again in 4wd low and manual mode when doing climbs under load and in sports mode the Pathfinder would up gear by its self at the revs mentioned above. Although It didn't do it on level ground or downhill, I suspect due to having more traction in this terrain.

I was out with 13 other 4wds and everyone said this is weird behaviour when manual mode is selected.

A few weeks later the Mechanic found fault code P1815 M-MODE Switch registered in the computer error codes - we cleared the fault codes during the scheduled service

On the weekend just past I took the pathfinder back to the sand dunes to test it out

We tested the vehicle is very soft sand and slight incline and manual mode kept shifting upgear manually at approx. 2200rpm

This time recorded on video!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d0922dryx6co ... 7.mp4?dl=0

I took it into an local transmission mechanic and they took it for a drive and manual mode works fine in 2WD, he kindly hooked up the device to look for fault codes and no fault codes were present

I'm a bit lost at where to go from here, its quite frustrating to not have 4LO manual mode to climb dunes or work through really soft sand on the beach.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Nick

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Pathfinder in 4Low and manual mode acting like auto mode

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:07 pm

Nick, welcome to TheNissanpath!! :D
One of our experts will check your posts soon.

Cheers

Berto14

Postby Berto14 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Hi Palmerwmd,

Thanks - really hoping someone on here can help steer me in the right direction

Thanks
Nick

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:51 pm

I Pm'ed with one of our head mechanics.
he saw your post but he does not feel qualified since the is US trained and you have a foreign-markets-only Diesel Pathfinder with a transmission likely not found in the US.

Sorry I dont have better news.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 am

I wonder if it has something to do with 4L as a safety precaution since you're not suppose to go any faster than 31 mph although I see you're not going anywhere near that speed. 4H in manual mode work fine?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:42 am

I went through both the OM and FSM (TM and DLN sections) for the US model '12, and I can't find any mention of anything except the 31 mph limit in 4LO. However, it occurs to me that it's possible there's a safe condition because of a past DTC in the AWD controller that isn't turning on the lamp because it's past. It's hard to predict stuff like that, because you're trying to pick the brain of some programmer in Hitachi's basement whose software "met a spec" but may not be well documented regarding anything Nissan didn't precisely specify. The P0705 problem with Versa taillights is the best-known example. So my question would be, can your scanner read the AWD Controller? If not, I think I'd get it checked with a better scanner and see if there's any past garbage in the TCM or AWD.

Berto14

Postby Berto14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:49 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 am
I wonder if it has something to do with 4L as a safety precaution since you're not suppose to go any faster than 31 mph although I see you're not going anywhere near that speed. 4H in manual mode work fine?
Yes even from dead stop it auto shirts upgear at ~2200 as per the video nowhere near the 31 mph (49.89 kmh)
2WD definitely and 4HI (from memory) seem to be fine

Berto14

Postby Berto14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:52 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:42 am
I went through both the OM and FSM (TM and DLN sections) for the US model '12, and I can't find any mention of anything except the 31 mph limit in 4LO. However, it occurs to me that it's possible there's a safe condition because of a past DTC in the AWD controller that isn't turning on the lamp because it's past. It's hard to predict stuff like that, because you're trying to pick the brain of some programmer in Hitachi's basement whose software "met a spec" but may not be well documented regarding anything Nissan didn't precisely specify. The P0705 problem with Versa taillights is the best-known example. So my question would be, can your scanner read the AWD Controller? If not, I think I'd get it checked with a better scanner and see if there's any past garbage in the TCM or AWD.
Hi VStart650CL,
Thanks for your reply, I remembered your username from this post on the other Nissan Forum
https://www.nissanforums.com/threads/r5 ... st-1727563
I did source a spare shifter unit but as an after thought I don't believe its the microswitches in the shifter due to it working fine in manual mode whilst in 2WD & 4HI.
I may book in with my local Nissan dealer with your comments and see if they can run a detailed diagnostic
Thanks for your assistance again

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:43 pm

I dunno, if you're still getting the P1815 then that could certainly be causing some "safe" behavior, even if the code is past. The code itself is rarely mechanical and never hydraulic, it basically means the TCM saw two of the M-switches active at the same time and couldn't figure out what you wanted.

Berto14

Postby Berto14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:46 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:43 pm
I dunno, if you're still getting the P1815 then that could certainly be causing some "safe" behavior, even if the code is past. The code itself is rarely mechanical and never hydraulic, it basically means the TCM saw two of the M-switches active at the same time and couldn't figure out what you wanted.
Thanks - Ill see what Nissan says after the review
P.S - I like this very much :-)
"Even Darwin recognized that idiot-proofing is futile. You simply
compel Nature to produce increasingly superior idiots"

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:22 am

Berto14 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:46 pm
P.S - I like this very much :-)
"Even Darwin recognized that idiot-proofing is futile. You simply
compel Nature to produce increasingly superior idiots"
Due credit, that's actually a creation of my first wife, a very talented computer programmer who dealt firsthand with the futility of trying to idiot-proof GUI's.
:wink:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”