Oil recommendations?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ghostlead509

Oil recommendations?

Postby ghostlead509 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:33 am

Recently purchased a 2009 SE and am new to the forum! I recently replaced the timing chain. Used mobil1 5w30 and a mobil 1 filter since that is what I used in my GX. I was wondering if any of the experts here had any suggestions for oil brands that would perform better. I have no idea what the previous owners were like, how they took care of the vehicle, or how regularly they did maintenance. A friend of mine recommended Liqui Moly Molygen but I have never used it. Was curious to anyone thoughts. Thanks!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Oil recommendations?

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 am

Back in the day, say 10 years ago I would have steered you away form any Mobil 1 xw-30 weight oil as they were among the thinnest in the business.

however this has recently changed and the Mobil 1 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 have better HTHS numbers than ever before.

I run Mobil 1 0w-40 right now in my 2008 Pathfinder and my 2011 Xterra ( same engine as the V6 Pathfinders)
I ran the Valvoline High milage Synthetic in 10w-30 for a while and this was a great oil. almost no VIIs ( viscosity index improvers) for a synthetic oil to make this small spread from 10 to 30 ..
(VIIs are the source of varnish in modern engines)
but they recently dropped the ACEA A3 certification in favor of GF6.

GF6 has some advantages such as resting low load knock and another things I forget.
But our engines are timing chain driven naturally aspirated engines.
So we dont care about Low load knock resistance like the turbos guys do.
But we do care about good HTHS number to protect the timing chain.

For these reason I like my oils on the slightly thicker range.
The Mobil 1 5w-30 is a fine oil, but the 0w-40 has even better HTHS (High Temperature/High Shear) numbers.

In the end though these engines are pretty good and tend to run fine with just about any modern oil viscosity 5w-30 and up.

There are a lot of myths out there about oil viscosities " but I cannot type anymore my gf is skyping me.

Source: Chemist with 20+ years experience.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 am

A compression test of cylinders will tell you the health, really.

I've used a number of brands and have been happy.
For Oil Filters, I've ordered the least expensive "good ones" from RockAuto. I've researched these through BITOG, and they all come up as very good.

I usually order 4 at a time, and whatever includes the best shipping rate - comes to my house!

Nissan Oil Filters are built very well.
Bosch 3323 Oil filters - no problem at all.
Denso 1502003 - excellent filters - no problems.
BECK/ARNLEY 0418135 - excellent filters - no problems.
The insides of these are premium built, with excellent filter media.

NOTE: I change mine on every oil change because, I do it myself, and over a shop, the costs of a filter ($5) is an easy thing for me. I just feel a filter, well, a new clean one, is better than an old one. My oil always comes out black as coal, so I figured, if the oil is doing it's job, then the filter is doing its as well, so I synchronize it.

As far as oil:

Penzoil Platinum (made from Natural Gas) - excellent oil! - anytime it's on sale, it's mine.

Costco - Kirkland - no problems. No burning off, nothing, seems thin, but it's a smaller size 4.73L, so I'm stuck using one bottle and part of the next one. It's a pain.

Castrol GTX 5w30 - anytime this is on sale, it's mine. Complete faith in this oil brand.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic. I think it's the absolute best oil, but it's rarely on sale.
Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire branded Motomaste Oils are made by Shell.
If it's on sale, I will grab it.

Basically I've used many different oil brands over the past years, none of which have had any impact.
Folks have different experiences, and climates may affect it. If you want confidence, just shop for the same brand of oil and keep with it?

If you really want to know what's happening in your engine, get an oil analysis check.

My perception of oil changes is that, as long as you perform it regularly, under the same driving conditions (highway/city) the Gods of Oil will take care of you.

These VK engines seem very tolerant.

Mine is the first year build of the 4.0. 310KM.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:00 pm

Mobil 1 is good. Liqui Moly Molygen was recommended to me by my brother-in-law. Still haven't tried it.

For the price I was paying for Mobil 1 at the local auto parts store, I decided to get a membership through Amsoil and use Amsoil only now. For 50 cents more a qt for a superior oil, it's a no brainer. It might just be a "me" thing, but I notice my engine seems to run slightly quieter throughout the whole rpm range.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:54 pm

You can ask 20 different people and get 20 different answers when it comes to what's the best oil. Any API or ILSAC certified 5W30 motor oil will work just fine, conventional or synthetic. Nissan has changed their mileage intervals several times over the years, going from 3750 miles to 7500, back to 3750 and then changed up to 5000 mile intervals. Follow your manufacturer's recommendations is the best advice I can give you.

Now, as far as my personal experience, I've been using Walmart's SuperTech 5W30 Full-synthetic oil and mostly Nissan oil filters; when I can't get Nissan, I'll go with Purolator One filters. But, Mahle (who makes some of the Nissan oil filters in the far east), AC Delco, Wix, Denso, K&N and a dozen other brands will all work just fine. A lot of the lower cost brands are often made by Purolator or Champion Labs, which are also good. I've been using SuperTech Full-synthetic 5W30 in my vehicles since 2006, when I got my 2003 Tacoma 2.7L. Prior to that, I had a 97 Nissan D21 SE/KC/RWD/KA24E/AT that I purchased brand new. I was working for Nissan, so I used Nissan oil filters and whatever bulk-purchased, conventional 5W30 oil that the dealership purchased. I had it just over 200K miles when the main harness shorted and melted the wiring from the engine compartment to the ignition switch. At the time, engine ran great and the only time it was apart was to replace the hydraulic lifters (rocker arms) and the valve cover gasket a couple of times. Top of the engine was clean and it didn't burn any oil. The Tacoma got the SuperTech Full-synthetic and Pure One or Denso or Toyota oil filter, whichever I had at the time. Oil changes every 5000 miles and never had the engine apart except for a valve cover gasket until I traded it in on my 06 Pathfinder. The Pathfinder had 84,000 miles on it and got the SuperTech/Nissan filter combo every 7500 miles until a tree landed on it at 225K miles. I did have the front of the engine apart to replace the timing chain set, but that was a manufacturing issue, not a maintenance nor oil issue. The engine ran great until the end and at 150K miles, I sent a 7500 mile sample to Blackstone Labs for oil analysis. Test came back good, only showing a slightly high amount of silicone which was traced to some dirt getting in through a split in the air intake duct hose. They said I could increase my intervals to 9500 miles, but I kept them at 7500. My 2008 Pathfinder was purchased at 45K miles and has been maintained the same as the 2006 for the most part. It currently has 275,000 miles on it and burns no oil. It did have the same timing set replacement as the 06, but at 148K miles. At one point, the oil change got delayed; I sent an oil sample with 12K miles on it to Blackstone Labs. The results came back great, but they did say the TBN number was low and I should not extend pass the 12K mile interval mark (I stayed with the 7500 intervals after that). I think it's safe to say that SuperTech Full-synthetic is good oil and is a good deal at $16 per 5-quart jug. It's API and GM Dexos certified and is made by Warren Distribution.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:02 pm

Now that's what I call empirical research! :D

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”