Test Derive: Honda Passport and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Test Derive: Honda Passport and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:06 am

Bored, I decided to test drive these two vehicles back to back at the dealerships nearby yesterday
Thinking that these are two vehicles that would represent something size wise to the R51.
Not to get excited, these are just test drives for "in the future decisions.

Honda Passport:
I must say, Honda is very boring. Interior mimics everything else being sold (Ridgeline, Accord, Pilot, etc).
Immediately after my test drive, I told the salesperson that I wasn't interested in it. It was the fastest dissapointment I've ever had test driving a vehicle that I can recall.

It's just me, there's just nothing exciting about driving it.
I do not like the Auto Tx shifting. A bit weird to rely on buttons and switches.
It's a quality machine, and a good daily driver.

One thing that surprised me - the front legroom/knee was worse than the R51? First thing I noticed was my knee was against the dash, even when pulled back. I'm 6' tall.
I checked online specs, and it's true.
R51: 42.4"
Passport: 40.9"
It made the whole driving of the vehicle disconcerting, although the hip room and head room were generous.

A bit surprised at the height of entry to the rear trunk. Good size, and wide.
Another difference - no center armrest. Arms rests only, as the shoulder room is generous and this is the penalty.

Another thing that surprises me on Hondas.
My brother's Acura does the same thing. The tire noise/throughput on the highway is ridiculous. I know the cabin is "quiet", but the tire choices and exhaust tuning is annoying to me. I'm not sure if it's the tires they spec on these to keep them handling better, but, it seems like it's a roaring adventure at any highway speed.

Or is this the Vtech? Whatever it is, I just don't get how this rumble doesn't come up in any Honda review on line. It's so prevalent when you jump from the R51 into either one of these vehicles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Must say for a unibody, it does very well to resemble a truck like drive/feel.
Seems solid built, and tried the 3.6 VVT version.
Seating position and legroom very similar to the R51.
I think it drives and handles much more solid than the Passport. It just feels is can handle an obstacle.

Rear seat passengers are going to suffer in this thing. It's very similar to the R51 in that respect.
Rear cargo room - actually is good, but narrow.

Driving, road noise. I thought this thing was much quieter than the Passport. Might be the exhaust tuning, but first time driving a Jeep in years, and they've done a great job. Probably won't hold up after 10 years, but I would need to test drive an older model to see about rattles, shakes.

The 8 speed in the Dodge seems to hold and keep torque better when accelerating in a smooth fashion. Very much like the R51, where the tuning seems to hold the engine RPM and torque in a certain way.

Overall thoughts was the Grand Cherokee was a better comparable to the R51.
Seems a much more capable vehicle to handle what's thrown at it, under different conditions.
Passport has a very floaty feel, and the steering feel at low speeds doesn't have much input.

Came away thinking that it's going to be impossible to get away from an R51 feel for awhile.

Haven't drove the Ford Explorer, which seems a logical cross, as the new generation is rear wheel drive.
Probably will test the new Pathfinder at some point. My overall concerns on Ford, have been the quality of interior materials on the recent Bronco and Bronco Sport models. Some of the plastic seems cheaper than 80's K cars. Where else is the quality being compromised, I wonder to myself.

Aside from pickup trucks, and the newest 4Runner coming, not sure what else would be worth driving to have a comparable feel to the R51?

Ramblings on a Sunday.

grm3

Re: Test Derive: Honda Passport and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Postby grm3 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:01 am

About a year and half ago, I was looking to replace my 2006 Pathfinder. I test drove a 2018 Armada, 2017 4Runner, and a 2018 Grand Cherokee. I wasn't really happy with any of them, but the Grand Cherokee seemed the best of the 3 to me, and I almost pulled the trigger on it. But the dealer got shady with extra charges right before signing, and we just walked out. Then I decided to just put some money into the Pathfinder (timing chain, spark plugs, hoses, belts, radiator) and keep it for a few more years, since I'm only at about 115K miles right now, and the only current issue is rust.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Test Derive: Honda Passport and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:07 pm

grm3 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:01 am
About a year and half ago, I was looking to replace my 2006 Pathfinder. I test drove a 2018 Armada, 2017 4Runner, and a 2018 Grand Cherokee. I wasn't really happy with any of them, but the Grand Cherokee seemed the best of the 3 to me, and I almost pulled the trigger on it. But the dealer got shady with extra charges right before signing, and we just walked out. Then I decided to just put some money into the Pathfinder (timing chain, spark plugs, hoses, belts, radiator) and keep it for a few more years, since I'm only at about 115K miles right now, and the only current issue is rust.
I think you made the right choice.
Even among the most modern offerings there isn't a whole lot (at a reasonable price) that can beat a well sorted R51 in form and function.

Return to “R51 General Chat”