Really interesting test results on Car&Driver's Octane test

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Really interesting test results on Car&Driver's Octane test

Postby palmerwmd » Tue May 03, 2022 1:23 pm

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... e-charger/

Even though I infer the opposite conclusions form the author, who was primarily looking at 0-60 and quarter mile times for "little difference".

It is amazing what the measurable power difference were and that there were some as much as 10 hp in vehicles originally rated for 87 only!!
And that a mere 2 Octane would make a measurable difference in the M5 is also amazing.
And in the F150 it make a difference of a full half second in the quarter!

People sometimes spend thousands on intake/headers/exhaust to achieve a half second gain in the quarter!
And this wasnt even at sea level or in summer time wich would have been sure to increase the deltas! (I live near sea level in Florida).

PS:
I run 93 Octane in my V8. Nissan "recommends" premium but states regular acceptable.
This article make me feel vindicated... plus there is also the fact that mine is a higher mile engine at nearly 177,000 miles so despite my best efforts to keep the internals clean I am sure some deposits must be there. (And those can serve as a source for pre ignition so I believe hi mile engines can do with at least a step up in fuel class regardless.)
Only when I do gentle (interstate at 65mph) driving at altitude I go down to midrange

Return to “General Automotive”