Airbag occupant sensor clicking

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

bozoneX

Airbag occupant sensor clicking

Postby bozoneX » Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 pm

After a stereo/amp install, I have intermittent clicking from the passenger area. I also removed the seats in the process, but I have a feeling it's a ground issue. The problem only arises when the vehicle is moving, and when nobody is in the passenger seat, only when it's empty or lightweight items sitting on it. Once there's enough weight to turn off the passenger airbag light, it goes away. The origin of the sound might be the blower motor, or a relay, but it's hard to tell since I have to be driving with no passenger for it to work! Worse on dirt roads.

Has anyone fixed, replaced, or bypassed their passenger seat occupant sensor?

VStar650CL

Re: Airbag occupant sensor clicking

Postby VStar650CL » Sun May 15, 2022 5:37 am

What year Pathy? I believe all MY's of the R51 used bladder-type OCS sensors in the seat cushion. R52's and most others use beam sensors in the RH inboard seat rail, but no Nissan OCS which I'm aware of uses relays or anything else that could make noise. It's possible the bag brain (under the console) could have a relay or two. Since it started right after a radio swap, I have to think you affected the wiring in some way, but the OCS system is a very unlikely candidate for the source of your noise.

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 am

2010. The manual is saying its a bladder system and that the OCS brain is behind the glove box. That's the right spot for the noise. I bet the ground on my amp is upsetting it, but the bladder must also be too sensitive if dirt roads are making it react. I'll try a new grounding location first, any recommendations? It's currently under the driver's seat on the screw that holds the heat duct, removed paint, 4ga wire about 500-600w.
Attachments
driverfloor.png

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun May 15, 2022 8:19 am

No, the OCS Controller isn't separate, it's part of the sensor/cushion assembly. The SRS brain is under the console. The only thing near the glove box is the passenger airbag, and if that's clicking somehow then there's a good chance your car is a time bomb. :wink:

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm

I moved the ground from the bigger amp to one of the 12mm bolts right behind the driver's seat. Hooking up the battery gave me the awful blower motor click, but so far good tunes and no airbag-related clicking. Time will tell...
archerbomb.jpg

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm

bozoneX wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm
I moved the ground from the bigger amp to one of the 12mm bolts right behind the driver's seat. Hooking up the battery gave me the awful blower motor click, but so far good tunes and no airbag-related clicking. Time will tell...archerbomb.jpg
Archer rocks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XkWI5gJnY

Return to “R51 Electrical”