Issue with Passenger front power window

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

mpilihp

Issue with Passenger front power window

Postby mpilihp » Wed May 18, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi so I have searched for this issue and haven't found a post with this issue.

So passenger front power window just stopped working one day luckily it was up. No up or down from either drivers or passengers switches.

I replaced the drivers switch pack because a rear window switch did not work but that did not change the passenger window issue.

I then got a new regulator/motor assemble and replace it and no change. I then checked the power at the motor connector and there was no voltage when pushing up or down. For kicks I pulled the switch from a rear window and when I did that the drivers switch for that window would not work so I figured the switch could be bad and prevent even the driver switch from working.

I just tried a new switch and the passenger window still doesn't work.

I've looked and it appears there is only one relay for all windows and it doesn't look like it has 4 sets of relays in it IE one for each window is that true, the relay cannot be my issue?

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this? What could be causing no power to just the passenger window?

Thank You

Phil

VStar650CL

Re: Issue with Passenger front power window

Postby VStar650CL » Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 pm

The R51's pretty much all use a bit-bang serial link between the driver and passenger front windows, not a "default ground" setup like the rear windows. That's to support the front window "roll down" feature using the fob or door cylinder, which can't be accomplished using a default ground. In one way this makes diagnosis easier, because the passenger switch is in full charge of its own window when its own button is used. So if it doesn't power the motor when using its own passenger side switch, the problem is always either a bad switch or a bad power/ground supply to the passenger door. Since you replaced the switch, the problem has to be bad power or ground. If you want to post MY details and whether it has "Auto" on one side or both, I can tell you exactly where to put a test light.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi thanks for replying and the help.

So my pathy only has the auto roll up or down on the drivers side window. So it sounds like since I replaced the switch its a power or ground fed problem correct?

Your help is much appreciated on where to test for a possible bad ground or power supply issue.

Thank You

Phil

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Fri May 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Still can't look it up without knowing the MY. Your sidebar doesn't show your vehicle.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri May 20, 2022 10:37 pm

mpilihp wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 pm
Hi thanks for replying and the help.

So my pathy only has the auto roll up or down on the drivers side window. So it sounds like since I replaced the switch its a power or ground fed problem correct?

Your help is much appreciated on where to test for a possible bad ground or power supply issue.

Thank You

Phil
Phil when he says "MY" he means "model year" of your vehicle, to enable him helping you. :)

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Sat May 21, 2022 7:07 am

Ahh ok sorry, so its a 2005 SE Pathfinder.

Thanks!

Phil

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat May 21, 2022 7:51 am

On an '05 the three other windows (besides the driver's) all use a "default ground" in the Master Switch. You should see constant power on the White/Red wire at the passenger switch, if not then there's a wiring issue. If you have power, with the switch not pressed, ohm Green/Yellow and Blue/White to ground. You should see a good ground connection on both, ideally zero but a couple of ohms at most. If it's higher then there's a problem in the connection between that wire and the Master or the Master is bad. To rule out a bad Master, ohm those same wires (same colors) to ground at the Master connector. If it reads good then the problem is in the wires, if it still reads high then the Master is bad. Connection problems are usually one of two things, either corrosion on the connector pins or fatigue-breaks in the umbilical sections connecting the doors to the car.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Mon May 23, 2022 4:23 am

Thanks I will give that a try!

Phil

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Mon May 23, 2022 7:09 am

Hi again thanks for your help.

So first the white/red has no power with the key on, I tested my ground I used and it's good.

Second both the green/yellow and blue/white have no connectivity to ground, fully open.

This makes me think there is a connector just undone?.

I will say this past winter I attempted to set up a tow lights power brake setup and the car did not appear to have the connector the kit said it needed and I had my garage look at it. Maybe they disconnected something under the dash by accident??

Thanks

Phil

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon May 23, 2022 7:25 am

That sounds like maybe the whole wire bundle into your passenger door is deteriorating or the connector has popped loose somehow. Power into the passenger front switch is the same source as the two rears, so if those work, the problem pretty much has to be in the door wiring. Peel back the rubber on the umbilical and take a look, and check the door connector. If it isn't loose, pop it and make sure it isn't full of water or something. If you don't find anything there, pop the door panel and make sure the harness didn't snag on something and get severed by the window mechanism.

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Mon May 23, 2022 8:08 am

Hi thanks, so newbie here, where are you saying to peal back the ambilical cord covering? Between the door and car frame?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 am

mpilihp wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:08 am
Hi thanks, so newbie here, where are you saying to peal back the ambilical cord covering? Between the door and car frame?
Yes. That coupling has to flex in a coiling action every time the door is opened and closed, so even though special wire with finer strands is used in the construction, the bundles can still fatigue over time, especially if the factory happened to half-twist the harness opposite the direction of the spiral in the conductors. If I recall correctly the R51 Pathies didn't have lever connectors where they enter the body, so the umbilical should have a grommet arrangement at both ends. Just pop the rubber loose from the door and body, then compress the accordion pleats to inspect the wires. WD40 will help in re-seating the grommets easily if you don't find anything. The connectors should be accessible through a hole located behind the kick panel. They'll be tucked into the space between the inner and outer sheet metal, with a loop in the bundle providing enough slack to pull them out. You simply pull the bundle through the hole from the inside to get at the connectors.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 am

Found a pic of a used door and added some arrows, here's what I'm talking about:
R51 Door Connectors.jpg
R51 Door Connectors.jpg (14.24 KiB) Viewed 1683 times

mpilihp

Postby mpilihp » Mon May 23, 2022 10:11 am

Hi sorry for my ignorance but where is this located you want me to peel the covering back to check the wires and connector, between the door and door frame.

Thanks. Phil

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Mon May 23, 2022 10:24 am

Yep, that's the front edge of the door you're looking at in the pic. If it was mounted on the truck, the accordion rubber and wire bundle would be connecting the door to the door frame. Separate the grommet ends from the door and frame and check the wires inside.

Return to “R51 Electrical”