Squeaking noise front driver side axle

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Limey

Squeaking noise front driver side axle

Postby Limey » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:20 pm

When the vehicle is stationary and I rock the PF side ways back and forth from the outside. I can a squeaking noise front driver side axle area , also notice it when hitting bumps in the road . Possible ball joints or bushing ?

VStar650CL

Re: Squeaking noise front driver side axle

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:45 pm

Does it do it when rocked front-to-back also? If it's only side-to-side then it's probably something in the sway bar, if it's all directions then it can be pretty much anything else but the sway bar.

Limey

Postby Limey » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:11 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:45 pm
Does it do it when rocked front-to-back also? If it's only side-to-side then it's probably something in the sway bar, if it's all directions then it can be pretty much anything else but the sway bar.
I’ll look into it. Thanks.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:58 pm

At a drive-thru, maybe when it's quiet evening and you can hear "things", or at a place where you can get close to a wall to hear it (since it's on the driver's side)...

...try turning right and left and see if it squeaks when you turn. The pressure on the ball joint could be the metal rubbing..could be lower ball joint which is close to the axle.

it would squeak when you shake the truck as well...turning / pivoting... will point to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvIY9I ... 7sAutoHelp

Limey

Postby Limey » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:22 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:58 pm
At a drive-thru, maybe when it's quiet evening and you can hear "things", or at a place where you can get close to a wall to hear it (since it's on the driver's side)...

...try turning right and left and see if it squeaks when you turn. The pressure on the ball joint could be the metal rubbing..could be lower ball joint which is close to the axle.

it would squeak when you shake the truck as well...turning / pivoting... will point to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvIY9I ... 7sAutoHelp
I only get the squeak noise when the front driver side wheel hits a pot hole. Or if I rock the vehicle sideways when stationary.
On a separate issue when slowly pulling into my driveway, the back end makes a creaking noise when going over a bump but never hear it during normal driving conditions

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:37 pm

Before I removed my sway bars my truck would make so much noise just parking. My .2 I would start with the both sway bars.
I can't seem to remember exactly on the OEM front coilovers have rubber top hat sections that will make noise when the suspension is articulating. The OEM bushings are not the best after some wear and tear but there are some affordable Polyurethane bushings that can be swapped.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”