2008 rough shifting

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HazmatikNC

2008 rough shifting

Postby HazmatikNC » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:42 am

I recently took my 08 Pathy on a road trip from NC to OH, in the middle of WV I had my radiator go out on me (no SMOD thankfully) spraying out the top, I got towed to a parts store and replaced it in the parking lot and in doing so let out a very small amount of transmission fluid. I checked the dipstick after and it was still reading full. It's been about a month since and I've driven about 2k miles since and it just started having some late/rough shifting and very occasionally will miss the shift altogether and the rpms will just rev up. I have checked the fluid level both hot and cold and it's still reading full. Could that very small amount of fluid I lost when changing the radiator be the cause of the rough shifting? If so how do I know how much to add if the dipstick is saying it's full? I don't want to overfill it.

VStar650CL

Re: 2008 rough shifting

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:52 am

More likely the loss of coolant also overheated the tranny, so it's probable the fluid is shot and also possible the tranny itself is damaged. You can try changing the fluid, it may or may not help. The tiny bit you lost in the parking lot is insignificant, they usually need to be down a quart or more to provoke major misbehavior.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2008 rough shifting

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:58 pm

Sorry to bear bad news, but missing a shift altogether and just revving pup is usually a sign for overheat cooked seals not holding pressure.
Its happend to me once 20 years ago in another Product.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”