Spindles very rusted

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

stugry

Spindles very rusted

Postby stugry » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am

First off, thanks for everyone's replies to my barrage of questions I've asked the past few weeks. They've really helped.

As I've been pulling the entire front suspension out I'm wondering if my spindles are worth replacing or if significant rust on spindles is normal and not a concern. OEM replacements are $300 each so I'd rather not incur that
expense if it's not needed. There's some on Amazon for about $100 each but no reviews. Searching this forum and the frontier forum haven't really answered much. Maybe it's worth sanding and coating? Since im already replacing thre uca and Lca and most of the other things th that attach to the spindle I'd like this to be a long term reliable solution.
Attachments
Resizer_16634282662861.jpeg

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Spindles very rusted

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:24 pm

Self delete (answered the wrong question)

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:13 pm

My 2011 had spindles that looked like that. Personally it could have been left like it was, but it visually bothered(I've lived in the Southwest all my life) me so I bought some replacement spindles on Ebay.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:37 am

stugry wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am
First off, thanks for everyone's replies to my barrage of questions I've asked the past few weeks. They've really helped.

As I've been pulling the entire front suspension out I'm wondering if my spindles are worth replacing or if significant rust on spindles is normal and not a concern. OEM replacements are $300 each so I'd rather not incur that
expense if it's not needed. There's some on Amazon for about $100 each but no reviews. Searching this forum and the frontier forum haven't really answered much. Maybe it's worth sanding and coating? Since im already replacing thre uca and Lca and most of the other things th that attach to the spindle I'd like this to be a long term reliable solution.
First off, I don’t know what sort of quality you will get from 100$ spindles on eBay/Amazon or who the maker is. Generally cheap generic stuff is cheap generic crap.

Second, it’s hard to tell from the picture whether this is anything that is actually compromised on those spindles. But if it’s just surface rust you could wire brush it (like a wire brush on a drill) and then paint them with some rust converter and they won’t look as they do. If it’s just cosmetic I would ignore it or paint them.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”