Possible sign of timing chain failure inbound ?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Limey

Possible sign of timing chain failure inbound ?

Postby Limey » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:29 am

I started noticing a slight rattle sounds like like loose marbles when I was driving about a week ago. Sound appears to be coming from the timing chain cover area primarily on driver side. I can also hear it around the driver side wheel well area. I made a video. Will it fail or get louder before failing ? 2009 4liter 119k miles.

https://youtu.be/tYYPnIu0mlQ

VStar650CL

Re: Possible sign of timing chain failure inbound ?

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:57 am

It's possible that's a chain, but that isn't a typical noise. Usually they make a "heavy metal bumblebee" sound that changes with RPM. That sounds more like a bad tensioner or idler, or possibly a fan or AC clutch. I'd put a stethoscope on it.

Limey

Postby Limey » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:02 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:57 am
It's possible that's a chain, but that isn't a typical noise. Usually they make a "heavy metal bumblebee" sound that changes with RPM. That sounds more like a bad tensioner or idler, or possibly a fan or AC clutch. I'd put a stethoscope on it.
I don’t have a stethoscope, but will have my mechanic look into it. I used a piece of wood and the sound appeared my prominent on the driver side chain cover area. With AC all turned off.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:03 pm

Fuel injectors make clicking noises similar as well.
I keep thinking something is "more" wrong when I listen in on that side of the engine bay.
I think it's mainly due to the air intake, that covers the other side of the engine bay.

Hope it's something non exploratory.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”