Request for help identifying SRS flash code

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

robcalm

Request for help identifying SRS flash code

Postby robcalm » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi there,

Vehicle: Canadian-new 2008 R51 Pathfinder.

What: I have an SRS fault leading to a flashing dash light. When I clear the fault using the ignition cycling method, the fault only comes back after I drive a little, not when first starting up and idling. This makes me think that it is a steering wheel clock spring problem, but the flash code doesn't seem to agree. In fact, I can't make sense of the flash code because it doesn't seem to match up with any of the references I've been able to find.

Here is the code: two short (0.5s) flashes, a longer (maybe 1s) gap, two more short (0.5s) flashes. These are flanked by the longer double pulses that indicate the start and end of the flash code.

I've attached a link to a video of the flash sequence on my vehicle. I've also attached two documents with flash code references. The short summary page is from the Australian manual I think, so passenger and driver side are reversed. The SRS workshop manual is North American.
https://mega.nz/folder/f8cm3DCT#yCyYdO_2cKC7PYEf94Nsmg

Is anyone with the knowledge able to help me confirm this code? Is it even on these lists, or is it something different?

Thanks!
Rob

VStar650CL

Re: Request for help identifying SRS flash code

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:24 am

The closest thing I see is a driver Side Airbag code, but here's a link to the blinky codes. They start on page SRC-80:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2Fsrc.pdf

robcalm

Postby robcalm » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:39 pm

Thanks Vstar,

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion - that is the closest code. The double-up of the flash sequence is odd though.

Does anyone have any more info that can give me the confidence to invest in a clock spring? Like, is this flashcode repeat to be expected? Clocksprings fail all the time on these pathfinders - I'd expect this flashcode 'feature' to have come up in other threads.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:28 pm

You could always take it to O'Reilly's or Auto Zone for a scan, most parts store scanners will do Engine-Trans-ABS-SRS.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:21 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:28 pm
You could always take it to O'Reilly's or Auto Zone for a scan, most parts store scanners will do Engine-Trans-ABS-SRS.
+1 here, clock spring is expensive and finicky. I would find somewhere to scan this for you. Additionally, when i had my clock spring break it caused the VDC light to stay on. So it could be different here.

robcalm

Postby robcalm » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:42 pm

Thanks... yes I think I'll try to get a scan. Guessing probably isn't a good idea here.

Return to “R51 Electrical”