Steering feels terrible

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

CRC11007

Re: Steering feels terrible

Postby CRC11007 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:50 pm

When I rebuilt the front end on mine, I also installed the polyurethane steering rack bushings from PRG. I feel like it made a difference in stiffening up the steering feel of the rig. If you still have factory rear suspension, I would try to stiffen it up with new springs, or Airride bags, in order to help stabilize your truck at highway speeds. After all your new suspension components settle in for a few hundred miles, go back and have the alignment rechecked. Gotta love the lifetime alignment package at Firestone. Money well spent.

https://www.prgproducts.com/product-pag ... k-bushings

TooMuchControl

Re: Steering feels terrible

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:38 pm

Not sure what tires you have, but they all should be near 34-36 psi?

Of note: when I performed an alignment at the dealer, "twice" I drove off and returned to get the steering wheel on center.

This spring, I noticed the rear camber washer, lower rear was not on it's proper slot. I went back to the dealer and complained that it was performed wrong. The alignment graph, prior to them performing another alignment showed that everything was off quite a bit, proving to them, they did it wrong. But I noticed this months after they performed it.

What I do now, is perform an alignment twice per year.
Just after I swap my winters to summers, and then in the fall, just prior to swapping back.

The roads, and pot holes around town knock alignment numbers on trucks out of spec all the time.
If you hit a big pot hole or two after the alignment, something could have punched out of alignment.

I almost feel if you took the truck to another shop and performed a check, with the correct tire pressures, you might find some interesting results.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”