Steering feels terrible

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

stugry

Steering feels terrible

Postby stugry » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:55 pm

I finally finished replacing almost the entire front suspension and headers on my 08 pathfinder. I disconnected the steering column to get room for the header replacement. When I put it all back together I obviously(because now the steering wheel isnoff-center) didn't have the steering wheel matching the steering rack. I thought this would just be an annoyance that I could deal with for a while. Now it has been aligned and it feels like its turning a boat when turning left and the steering wheel is about 30 degrees counterclockwise. Could this boat feeling be due to the offset steering wheel. Im thinking maybe the system has a quicker input/output response on initial turning of the wheel and now maybe the vehicle thinks the wheel is already turned 30 degrees left maybe its not registering properly. I dont know much about steering so I'm just guessing. I'm really hoping it's not the parts I just recently installed causing the feeling (tie rods, coil overs, UCAs, LCAs stability bar ends, poly steering bushings). The coils are new cheepos I bought years ago and just threw on waiting to buy and install the 2" lift koni kit from alldogs, so maybe it's a coil issue? I really dont know. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I have no idea if it's related but the horn doesnt work either.

VStar650CL

Re: Steering feels terrible

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:21 pm

The inoperative horn could be an issue, it sounds like you got the wheel spun enough to pop the spiral cable after reassembly. That shouldn't affect the steering, but you'll be pulling the wheel off to fix it.

The offset wheel in and of itself shouldn't cause steering symptoms, but it sounds like your toe and possibly camber are messed up. That's a common problem with lifts, a lot of times the camber is affected and the toe needs to be tweaked to compensate. Rear toe in particular is useful for correcting twitchiness or unresponsiveness. Some extra rear toe-in will often straighten out a ride that drifts and oversteers, and extra toe-out will speed up the steering and correct for sluggishness and understeer.

stugry

Postby stugry » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:37 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:21 pm
The inoperative horn could be an issue, it sounds like you got the wheel spun enough to pop the spiral cable after reassembly. That shouldn't affect the steering, but you'll be pulling the wheel off to fix it.

The offset wheel in and of itself shouldn't cause steering symptoms, but it sounds like your toe and possibly camber are messed up. That's a common problem with lifts, a lot of times the camber is affected and the toe needs to be tweaked to compensate. Rear toe in particular is useful for correcting twitchiness or unresponsiveness. Some extra rear toe-in will often straighten out a ride that drifts and oversteers, and extra toe-out will speed up the steering and correct for sluggishness and understeer.
I haven't even lifted it yet. Its sill factory height and the alignment showed everything within spec. It was at TD so maybe not the best alignment but im assuming it's not that. Maybe the steering angle sensor or whatever it's called is messed up?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:35 pm

The SAS can only affect the ABS (and VDC if you have it). It can't affect the steering per se. Unless you're saying it feels like the P/S boost is reduced, it has to be a geometry problem. Maybe they screwed up the alignment.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:32 am

Maybe upload a picture of the alignment numbers you got to start with.

Also are your poly bushings offset?

stugry

Postby stugry » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:30 am

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:32 am
Maybe upload a picture of the alignment numbers you got to start with.

Also are your poly bushings offset?
I don't know much about alignment specs but I doubt see anything wrong with these. Itd be great if this issue is just a shitty alignment though.

None of the bushings are offset I dont think.
Attachments
20221022_112311.jpg

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:07 am

That all looks in spec, but that doesn't mean they didn't mess up something in the setup. Did this "boat steer" begin after you changed the suspension parts, or after the alignment? If it's the former then suspect a binding spring or some other parts issue, if it's the latter then they probably screwed up on the alignment rack.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:25 pm

So when you say boat steer, do you mean excessive leaning?

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:50 pm

Turning like a boat is how you described it. I figured you meant wallowing and excessive effort. Powerboats actually lean into a turn automatically, more like a motorcycle than a car.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Any chance the sway bars aren't connected correctly? Or that there is slop in the wheels? Maybe an inspection is in order.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:05 am

Sure. A binding sway bar link in particular can cause very "rock and roll" turning behavior in just one direction, and that is the sort of issue that can easily be missed on visual inspection on an alignment rack.

stugry

Postby stugry » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:10 am

I may have described it wrong. When I'm going above 60 or so it will wonder without me turning the wheel. When I begin to turn the wheel to correct it slowly starts to turn in the direction im trying to turn it but it feels like it takes way more rotation of the steering wheel to get it back to where it should be. It's almost like its floating in whatever direction it wants. I checked the tire pressure and the front tires were both low; 38 and 15 psi. Inassuned they had pumped the tires up as part of the alignment. The vehicle had been sitting for a couple months while I relieved all the front suspension work so I guess they deflated during that time? Filling the tires fixed about 70% of what I was feeling but it's still not as crisp as I'd suspect. I'll crawl under and make sure the links are all bolted up properly when I get a chance. The new struts input on are pretty cheap so maybe that's the issue. Gives me a reason to move the 2" koni lift install up by a few months if so, so I'd love that to be the issue.

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:15 am

If there was 15 in one of the tires then that alignment is going to be way off. That's exactly what I meant about not setting up the rack correctly, the vehicle needs proper prep and then proper rack setup. They should know better, I'd make them redo it.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:51 am

Sounds like your issue is steering rack related to me too. Have you confirmed that when you're parked on the driveway or gravel somewhere, you turn your steering wheel in either direction and your tires are responding immediately also? Hopefully you can get your steering column and rack aligned again to oem spec. Your alignment numbers look fine and cheap shocks/struts wouldn't cause you this much grief.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:05 pm

A car that has one wheel, especially a front wheel, grossly underinflated cannot be properly aligned.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”